Vacation time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation time!

Finishing packing up this am and heading to Janes Island State Park for the next two weeks. I haven't seen any fishing reports so not sure what I will find there this time of the year. I know around the inside of the Island is C&R striper with the outer bay side open season. I suspect there still should be some specks & hoping to find maybe red drum & blue, we'll see it might be too early still..... any updates from those around the area would be helpful.....THX

Keep us posted!
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Good luck. I hope to join some folks there this fall for an outing. I've never fished from the park but my friends have done well from Janes Island with stripers and specks in past years.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Let us know how you do.
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I’ve been looking to camp out there this summer with the kayak so interested in how much you enjoy the experience. Looking forward to your after action review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Camping and kayaking can be a blast. Here is a video that I did from one of our kayak camping trips.
            2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Another excellent video, Martin.

You're right that camping and fishing are a great combination. I've organized some trips to Trap Pond, DE in past years in May. The waterfront cabins and yurts there are really nice for overnight stays. And the fishing is very good. COVID has disrupted planning the past two years but I hope to get back to either this fall or certainly next spring.

I like catching fish in Trap's scenic environment:

A.jpg P1030501.jpg

But the best part of camping and fishing there is the camaraderie and food off the grill:

R.jpg D.jpg

The Free State Fly Fishers are going to Janes Island on 1 October this year for a few nights. I'm looking forward to that outing.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                Finishing packing up this am and heading to Janes Island State Park for the next two weeks. I haven't seen any fishing reports so not sure what I will find there this time of the year. I know around the inside of the Island is C&R striper with the outer bay side open season. I suspect there still should be some specks & hoping to find maybe red drum & blue, we'll see it might be too early still..... any updates from those around the area would be helpful.....THX
                Out front of Janes is open to keep a striper now, but the min. size is 35” until May 16th. You probably know that, but thought I would mention it just in case. The DNR Regs and maps on rockfish are not easy to understand in my opinion. I would think if the winds ever give us a break, you should be able to get on the pups.

Comment

I’m local to the Janes Park area pm me when your down I’ll help you get on fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Moc! Awesome video as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Thanks a lot for such a great video!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Another excellent video, Martin.

You're right that camping and fishing are a great combination. I've organized some trips to Trap Pond, DE in past years in May. The waterfront cabins and yurts there are really nice for overnight stays. And the fishing is very good. COVID has disrupted planning the past two years but I hope to get back to either this fall or certainly next spring.

I like catching fish in Trap's scenic environment:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27477[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27478[/ATTACH]

But the best part of camping and fishing there is the camaraderie and food off the grill:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27479[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27480[/ATTACH]

The Free State Fly Fishers are going to Janes Island on 1 October this year for a few nights. I'm looking forward to that outing.
                        That looks like fun there. Cooking and your kayak is right by the water.
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

i will be point lookout area all next week.last fall trout were in abundance with rockfish. not sure what to expect this time of year. maybe similar to what your hoping to get being your on the oppisite shore' will keep the group posted .

Comment

Hey Oldbayrunner or Rudy,
                            Thread seems to be sidetracked, how are you guys making out at Janes Is.? Report?

Comment

Sorry gents was without wifi in the camp grounds. As usual Janes Island SP was beautiful as always. The fist few days the weather was gorgeous mid 70's and as usual every type of fly and mosquitos were out already in abundance so bug spray was in order. The winds & rains were sporadic and a lot of small craft warnings so venturing out to fish the outlying areas was out of the question. The water inside did get up to 70 for a brief period but after the weekend the weather temps dropped dramatically and as my time progressed so did the water temps to around the mid 60's. Fishing was still fun the first couple of days I caught specs and dink striper then for some reason I only ran into catching dinks, and striper between 16 - 20" inside the waterways of the island, which were consistent but being the time of year I couldn't keep any, which is rare for me to do anyway. My remembered fishing spots on the inside waterways produced so the bite was A typical with it being best at the mid tides. Moc & Mike Mike met me one of the days at Colburn Landing, Moc found a spot he had fish 10 years before and limited out on keeper specs. I was catching mainly small striper and missed a few specs. I wound up coming home early as I was really unprepared for how the cold weather had reared it's ugly head, especially at night in a tent without my winter gear........... All in all it was a fun trip, there wasn't a day I ventured out I didn't catch fish and it was great just being out on the water. But I think for this time of year a venture to Virginia is a better bet for variety.
                              Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-13-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X