Blue Angels show - May 25 and 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Angels show - May 25 and 26

The Blue Angels are scheduled to arrive in this area on Tues morning. I have enjoyed watching the show while sitting in my kayak. If the weather allows, they will do a rehearsal show on Tues at 2:00 and the official USNA graduation week show on Wed at 2:00. On several recent years, I have launched my kayak at Tucker St, fished in Weems Creek for a while, then paddled to the mouth of Weems to watch the show. The main stem of the river is chock full of boats on anchor. The planes come by almost directly overhead.

001.jpg 003.JPG 004.JPG

You could also launch from Jonas Green Park. Sometimes vehicle traffic on the Rt 450 bridge is stopped during the show, so do not wait until the last minute to drive there.
    I do recommend having an anchor with you to keep from having to paddle constantly to hold position. Truxtun Park is another launch option.

Here is a photo that Mark took of me during the 2019 show. Note all the boats in the background.

mouth of weems.jpg
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 05-23-2021, 02:57 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

My office is in West Annapolis, just a couple blocks over from Tucker Street and I used to love hearing the whole building rattle when they'd fly over. We'd usually sneak out on the roof top for a totally unobstructed view too. Missed that last year, obviously. This year I'm planning to head to the mouth of Weems Creek for the show on Wednesday!
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I watched from my kayak about halfway from mouth of Weems to the 450 bridge. Best show ever. I learned the hard way that you need to keep track of all 6 aircraft as best you can. Early on, I was mesmerized by 5 aircraft in formation doing crazy things approaching the state capital dome. All of a sudden the #6 aircraft came screaming in from behind me below tree top level right over head. I nearly wet myself and capsized at the same time. My kayak smelled like JP8 for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

It's a great show.

I've seen it several times from different vantage points near the Severn in my kayak.

It never ceases to amaze me.

If you can make it I strongly encourage it.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice! Definitely don’t plan on being in a the kayak when the show is on. Mainly because I’ll be at work. On the other hand my job is right on west street just before downtown and the last 6 years I’ve been watching them from the parking lot. Those who will be out on the water definitely be careful! I use to go down to Amos Garrett park and fish while watching the blue angels but boat traffic gets pretty bad and scatter the perch. It always amaze me how many boats come in and out of the back of spa creek.

Comment

Are you able to take watercraft out on the main Severn river? I thought they had it cordoned off
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
              Are you able to take watercraft out on the main Severn river? I thought they had it cordoned off
              At some point near the Academy boat traffic is restricted on the Severn prior to and during the show.

But, this was the scene on the river at the 2019 show just south of the Route 50 Bridge:

P1040607 (2).jpg

You could almost cross the river hopping from boat to boat. After the show ended they honked their horns in appreciation.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

So cool! What a fun time that must be. This will be my first time seeing the show from the water, I'm looking forward to it and glad to known the river outside of Weems isn't off limits like I thought it would be.
                Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Working...
                X