Fastach Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastach Clips

In an attempt to do something productive on this total rainout Saturday, I’ve put new fluero leaders on all my reels.

As I tie on jigheads and big nose spinners for use in the next few weeks I started wondering if anyone else uses Mustad Fastach clips in lieu of loop knots. I have a pack (size 3) and am debating using a few.

While I can tie loop knots ok, I’m a bit slower in the kayak. I often want to change paddle tail colors or jighead weights when nothing is workin but my laziness kicks in on re-tying everything. I see the advantages of changing out lures quickly with the Fastach clips. But, are there negatives for using these? Seems the presentation is altered at the front but it’s still able to move better than a simple clinch knot.

Would appreciate anyone’s experience or advice on using these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

I use clips for surf casting (due to constantly changing lures) and trolling (where sensitivity isn't really an issue). For everything else - topwater, casting, jigging, etc. - I tie the leader directly to the jig/lure because in those applications, sensitivity is a MUST, which far outweighs the inconvenience of a re-tie.

My 2 cents.

Happy Memorial Day!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Because my Spinner Jigs have an "R" bend in their wire frame, I'd recommend a simple clinch or palomar knot to keep the knot the proper position.

A clip, or a loop knot may slide up the shaft to the blades and hinder the retrieve.

Stu
      Last edited by bignose; 05-29-2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Just us a loop on your leader end. If you need to change out undo the loop over the jig or lure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mike -

The photo (taken from my latest book) shows two types of snap swivels and one type of tackle clips The two in the left column are called coastlock snap swivels. The two in the right column are called interlock snap swivels. Both types are made with the clips attached to swivels that help to reduce line twisting. The coastlock style offers a bit more secure clasp. The two in the center column are called tackle clips and do not have snaps. They offer a more secure way of attaching a lure. In all cases, a knot that snugs down tight is used to tie these to the line or leader.

2021-01-25-003.jpg

I have never tried the Fastach brand of clip, but have used several different brands of tackle clips over the past two years. I first bought a pack of Eagle Claw Quicklink clips that looked like paper clips.

2019-09-12 13-47-33.jpg

When those were used up, I went back to the tackle shop, but they no longer had that brand. They stocked similar Tactical Angler Power clips (also looked like paper clips). They were roughly the same size, but the Tactical Angler ones were stiffer and harder to slide a lure on and off. Initially I used the clips with hard plastic crankbaits and topwater lures. I was experimenting with different models and could change them out faster with the clips. I found that lures with a fixed connection eye worked well, but those with a split ring took a lot of extra effort to get on. Typically for those lures, I needed to hold the split ring with pliers in order to slide the clip onto the lure.

I also used them on some of my light tackle trolling rods (6'6" medium spinning rods). With a clip on the end, I could easily change jighead weights or swap a crankbait for a jighead. Realistically, I did not notice any catching difference between trolled lures rigged with a clip vs a loop knot. With the turbidity in our local waters, I don't think the clips are disadvantageous for a moving lure. In clearer water, they may be spotted by the fish more readily.

2019-09-12 12-22-04.jpg

The other type of clip I used for a short time was something that looks a bit like the Fastach. I found them in 2017 in a tackle shop in Corpus Christi, TX. The curlicue design was fairly easy to use, but I ended up having several plugs slide out of the connectors and get lost. I stopped using them after that.

2017-11-07 16-09-44.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

No clips for me of any kind.

I actually enjoy tying a perfection loop on lures and flies. I can almost do it blindfolded.

When I use heavy 30 or 40# mono leaders for picks, I can actually untie and retie the same knot if I want to change lures or flies. I bring the tag only one time around the main stem of the line before going through the center of the knot. I leave the tag long so I can back it out later if necessary to retie.
            Indeed, it holds.

I don't often change lures or flies. If fish aren't taking what I'm using, my first inclination is to move.

Also, I don't think the fish we chase even see our big knots or clips. The lure is moving and they don't have time to study it. They wouldn't know what the clip is anyway. Also, most of the time they hit the lure from behind and don't see our connection points. Besides that, a jighead itself is rather large. That certainly doesn't deter them.
            Last edited by Mark; 05-30-2021, 05:57 AM.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I use clips all the time and can say they won’t effect lure action, sensitivity, or your ability to catch fish in both clear and dirty water in our area. I don’t use spinners blades, but I’d go with what big nose says for them. For all other lures clips work fine.

The Mustad ones you mention are fine, but a bit weak in my opinion (too pliable and I’ve have them bend out on fish). The Tactical Angler brand are the original paper clip style clip and far superior in strength to almost all the knock off brands. I only use the TA brand anymore.

Like John said, attaching them to a split ring can be a little tougher than a fixed nose ring. But a split ring on an nose ring is pointless anyway, so ditch the split ring and attach the clip directly to the nose ring. The clip acts like a loop knot or split ring and gives the lure plenty of action and movement.

I will tie direct over using a clip if targeting fish like Spanish or albacore. And the clip can sometimes hang up on the front hook when using top water, but not often enough that it makes me take the clip off.

Other than that, don’t have any worries using clips in our local waters as it makes no difference to the fish.

You really don’t need fluro leaders either, but it won’t hurt anything using it.
              Brian

Comment

Thank you all for the great input and advice. It was all very helpful.

I had completely forgotten that I have some Tactical Angler clips buried in my tackle box. I've rigged up a mix of TA clips, fastach and loop knots. However, I don't see me ever able to untie/re-tie a loop knot. I can't even un-tie the knots I accidentally create! Clinch knot for sure on my big nose spinners!

Happy Memorial Day!
                Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

With my arthritic fingers, I have been using clips for about 10 years and haven't noticed any difference in catching fish.

mjkeith13, there is nothing happy about Memorial Day. It is a day that we have dedicated to honor those who gave up their lives so that others can live.
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I use clips for 99% of crankbaits. I also use them if Im in a new area and might be switching lures a lot. I really have never had an issue with them but generally I don't use them on my jigs or hooks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

My homemade perch spinners have a different arm than Stu's.

I use a clip-on arm. I think it's the same style used on commercially available Beetle-Spins.

Spinners (2).jpg Rubber spinners.jpg

Out of habit, I tie them on through the circular bend in the arm with a perfection loop.

I think it's pretty clear that a small clip is not going to deter a hungry fish. Spinner baits, chatter baits, propeller baits, etc., each have lots of extra hardware and they catch fish. Fish don't have a clue what all that metal is that we toss at them -- especially the hook. If so, they would have figured out our tricks a long time ago.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I strictly plug and jig (no trolling) and use clips out of convenience, it makes swapping out lures much more efficient and you can do this by feel when fishing in the dark. I also prefer to tie direct when sensitivity or bite detection is important, like jigging where detecting bottom or the movement of a fish at the end of your line is critical. I'll also tie direct and use fluoro in clear water or when I'm marking fish and the bite gets tough. In my experience this could be all the difference needed for success.

For the record, Tactical Angler clips are the original "knock off" as Crazy Alberto sought to improve upon Breakaway Tackle's fast/spin link design. I've had the lighter wired TA's fail and more so duolocks (size 54 and smaller), but never a Breakaway or coastlock snap fail. YMMV
                        2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                        2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          Other than that, don’t have any worries using clips in our local waters as it makes no difference to the fish.

You really don’t need fluro leaders either, but it won’t hurt anything using it.
                          I just want to emphasize this point. I’ve fished side by side with folks that use flouro leaders without clips, and have never noticed a difference in catch rates fishing for stripers, specks, perch, etc. in local waterways . I prefer the TA clips since I’ve never had one fail, even on 25+ lb CNRs.
                          Last edited by rugbyfish; 05-30-2021, 10:19 PM.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by JAR View Post

For the record, Tactical Angler clips are the original "knock off" as Crazy Alberto sought to improve upon Breakaway Tackle's fast/spin link design. I've had the lighter wired TA's fail and more so duolocks (size 54 and smaller), but never a Breakaway or coastlock snap fail. YMMV

Alltackle in OC used to sell breakaways. I forgot about those. I didn't know they were the original either. I learned something new today
                            Brian

Comment

Working...
                            X