Reel review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel review

How does the Shimano 3000 Spheros Inshore SW compare to the 2500 Stradic FL? I decided I would find out! Father's Day Bass Pro gift card gave me the opportunity to pick up the Spheros SW without me spending my "fun money" I use to fish with...Teddy and I hit the St. Mary's River yesterday...I had rigged the brand new reel on a spare Shimano Teramar SE Inshore medium action 7' rod with #15 Kast King braid and 20# Trielene XT mono leader...1/8 oz deathgrip jighead dressed with cajun croaker Zman ...pretty much the exact same outfit but with my Shimano Stradic 2500 FL on the other rod holder...32 White Perch and several stripers (18"+) later...I can honestly evaluate the differences...

Quality reels- no question about that...$229.99 for the Stradic FL...$119.99 for the Spheros....the difference? The stradic is noticeable less resistance, less effort to crank the handle...the Spheros is a bit stiffer...end of story! That was my only observation...great, smooth drag, cast as well...catches fish as well...unbelievable value...love my Stradics...got several...but for the money? Can't go wrong buying the Spheros!
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-29-2021, 03:10 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Love my Stradic 3000 - my buddy just got a Vanford 3000 and I can't wait to try his.

But my favorite purchase of the year so far is my Daiwa BG HQ 2500. So much power (22lb max drag) for its size and weight (8.28 oz). Plus the black and silver look sweet.

I am still having trouble finding a lighter inshore jigging rod with some backbone but whose handle doesn't feel like a flagpole.

Ian
    Alexandria, VA
    2021 Hobie PA 14 360
    2004 Old Town Twin Heron

Comment

Basically a Stradic FK minus one RD13274 ball bearing...it uses a bushing there instead of the ball bearing...just cost a hundred bucks less...

P.S. I ordered the bearing from Shimano USA Fish Shop..$3.28 plus shipping...upgrade coming..
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-29-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

The $3.28 ball bearing upgrade was delivered from Shimano Fish USA and I tore the reel apart and swapped the bearing for the bushing...not a job I would recommend for a casual home hobbyist...but if you have some good mechanical skills, patience and attention to detail (helps to be a journeyman inside machinist) go for it! Took me about an hour, but disclaimer...last winter I completely overhauled my Stradic 2500 CI-4(+) FA reel and replaced all the bearings, so I had the advantage of that experience and familiarity with all the internal functions of the reel components...anyway...after using this reel with the upgrades I wonder if Shimano has "shot themselves in the foot" by continuing this reel at $119.99 price point...why buy a $229.99 Stradic? And NO,I do not want to work on anyone's reels...I am fully retired!

Comment

Working...
        X