Does FishBites go bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does FishBites go bad?

I have some FishBites that I bought ages ago, I don't even remember when. They worked okay a couple summers ago, I think they spent most if not all of last summer hidden under the seat of my truck (in the heat), I only found them a couple weeks ago. They look pale and almost white, not pink like a fresh pack. Wondering if the age and improper storage would make them go bad or if they are still worth using...
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

I typically keep a bag around in my garage for 1 to 3 years before using all the pieces, since I don't use them very often. They still seem to catch fish, even when old. I cannot offer any advice on whether really old ones are less effective than brand new ones.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I opened the bag and they are still plenty stinky, I think I'll try them out soon and see if the spot will go for them.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

I'd think they'd still be good as long as they didn't melt off the mesh liner that keeps them on the hook. I have packs that are several years old too and they still catch bait for me the few times I ever I use them.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          I'd think they'd still be good as long as they didn't melt off the mesh liner that keeps them on the hook. I have packs that are several years old too and they still catch bait for me the few times I ever I use them.
          Right on, that's good to hear! Glad I asked, sounds like I saved myself $7 bucks or whatever a new bag costs.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

I didn’t realize it until traveling down south a few months ago but fishbites makes paddle tails as well; about 4”.

I forgot I had bought a bag until this past Sunday and added one to my trolling lines at Rose Haven. They’re kinda neutral color, sort of beige-ish.
            Caught first couple of stripers on it but the Zmans and 12 fathoms were hit just as often but nothing above 16”. Turns out CNRs like them too so my experiment didn’t last long and was inconclusive. I only brought that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
              I opened the bag and they are still plenty stinky, I think I'll try them out soon and see if the spot will go for them.
              Two weeks ago I did my once per year bottom fishing venture on the oyster bottom at the mouth of Weems. I had already caught a bunch of perch along the shoreline. I put the spinner away and rigged a two-hook bottom rig with FishBites. I quickly caught small spot and croaker to add to my 2021 species list. I caught a few perch too.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have found that Croaker really like Fishbites. Perch on the other hand will only hit it maybe 50% of the time.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I caught my first croaker of the year a couple days ago, on a rattle trap of all things. It was a tiny little guy, but I've heard some big ones are around this year.
                  Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Working...
                  X