Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration

So - I bought a used Kayak last year on line, this year I decided to put a Bixby on it. I made an appointment and went to the DMV to register it and they require a Manufacturers Statement of Origin or Original Certificate of Origin.
    I do not have this, didn't come with the booklet I have...didn't know I needed it. I do not have the contact information for the guy I bought it from. Anybody know how I can get this Certificate? I went to the Hobie website and they did not really have a customer service #, seems like they refer you to a dealer.
    Just wondering if anybody has gone through this or can provide some time saving advice. I waited three months to get my motor and now still can not use it...killin me.

I seem to recall that the DNR allows you to fill out a form and create a registration certificate. I think that you need a Bill of Sale (gotta pay taxes on it), and the serial number that is somewhere on the hull.

Comment

I can't help with your registration issue, but I will say if you just send an email to info@hobie.com they will help you out with whatever you need. I've emailed them directly several different times with various questions about my new Outback and each time someone has emailed me back pretty quickly.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I was in the same situation as you. As far as I know, the MSO goes from the manufacturer to the dealer, not to the customer. The old town sent me their MSO but most of the section is not applicable for consumers to fill out. Luckily I was able to reach out to the seller's son who happened to be a tourney angler/old town pro staff and he took care of it for me. Your best bet is to write a new bill of sale. You don't need to get it notarized. DNR requires it for tax purpose.

This is what I received from the manager of the DNR licensing and registration service dept when I didn't have MSO and BOS.

Good morning,

There are two ways to obtain a title in your situation. If you are still in contact with the previous owner I would recommend that you ask them to request a replacement title from PA or provide you with the most recent registration and an original bill of sale. PA is currently a title state but it became an option some time ago so there may be no title for the vessel. I'd recommend contacting PA for clarification on the vessel status. Once those documents are received you would complete a B240 application which I have attached and submit the transaction for processing.

The other option would be to complete a missing title packet which I have attached to this email. This process is used when the seller does not provide proof of ownership and assignment of the title at time of purchase. You MUST have a bill of sale from who you purchased the vessel from to complete and submit this packet.

- Chris
        I really don't like to use the term out of luck. These issues are brought to our attention quite frequently. I would say this, that in all circumstances when this situation arises a bill of sale is always required to complete the missing title packet. A bill of sale is always required for the transfer of ownership of a vessel from a registration only state. Without a bill of sale I can't approve the transaction due to the legal liability that it would place on the department due to the lack of a chain of ownership. Auditors would also take issue with the transaction and that would possibly have repercussions on your ownership of the property and my employment going forward.

- Chris
        Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

The manufacturers Certificate of Origin has now become part of the Operators Manual for many kayaks. If you don't have one, the DNR will have you fill out an Affidavit for Transfer of Vessel Title which requires you to take a pencil and paper and make a shadow copy of the serial number that is molded into the hull. Then you can register it. This is usually done all at one time.
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
            The manufacturers Certificate of Origin has now become part of the Operators Manual for many kayaks. If you don't have one, the DNR will have you fill out an Affidavit for Transfer of Vessel Title which requires you to take a pencil and paper and make a shadow copy of the serial number that is molded into the hull. Then you can register it. This is usually done all at one time.
            I am pretty sure that you need a bill of sale for transferring the title. The easier way is to ask your wife or friends to write one. The proof of payment isn’t required but always good to attach. As long as you pay tax on it, DNR won’t question you on the legitimacy of your bill of sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

I registered canoes that I took from PA with no bill of sale. Hell, it didn't even remember when I got them.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

You can get a generic boat bill of sale from Google. (I kinda fudged the sale price to save some tax.)
                Fill it in, and get either a photo that can be printed up or a pencil shade tracing of the hull number to submit this to DNR.

I'm pretty sure DNR has a form to submit along with this.

Comment

I had(Have) a Jackson that I needed a cert of orgin, as I was putting a trolling motor on it.
                  I emailed Jackson Kayak a picture of the kayak, a close up of the VIN, and a picture of me and my Drivers Lic.
                  They emailed me a PDF of a Cert of orgin.
                  Captian of the plastic Navy
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input...I have a bill of sale (even though it was not as complete as they wanted) but because the boat is less then three years old I need the Certificate of Origin...I have the owners manual, I will check that again.
                    I believe I am just going to email hobie and see if I can get a copy

Been so busy I haven't been able to fish anyway - but fall is coming!

Comment

Working...
                    X