Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good news! Invitation new Solley Cove public boat ramp and kayak launch 7/15/21 noon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news! Invitation new Solley Cove public boat ramp and kayak launch 7/15/21 noon

Hello all,

Good news! The new Solley Cove Park public boat ramp and kayak launch beach in Glen Burnie are done and in soft opening. You can use it now. It's a beautiful facility. You can back right up to the kayak launch beach and drop off your yak. It's on Curtis Creek across from the Coast Guard Yard and next to American Legion Post 277.

You're invited to the ribbon cutting this Thursday, July 15, 2021 from noon to 1 pm. Please bring your yak and launch and paddle with us. Rec & Parks asks that people get their kayaks unloaded and staged to launch no later than 11:45 am. It would be great to see some fishing yaks there because I don't think Rec & Parks realizes how many fishing yaks there are and how heavy they can be.

I'm going to put in early to beat the rush. We'll probably paddle over to Rams Head Dockside (the old Reckless Ric's) for late lunch after the ribbon cutting.

Solley Cove Park website (not yet updated for new boat ramp and kayak launch beach): https://www.aacounty.org/locations-a...leys-cove-park

My earlier article in the Pasadena Voice: https://pasadenavoice.com/stories/so...r-access,33709

The old ramp is still open for overflow and upgraded. I asked Rec & Parks to put some crusher run on the old ramp while they were working on the access road. It really made using the old ramp a lot easier

See you there!

Lisa.

I launched from the new facility last week. It offers good launching and plenty of parking. I caught a lot of small stripers (trolling paddletails) and perch (casting spinners to the shaded shorelines) and got to visit the historic wooden ship graveyard. The new facility is definitely a step or two up from the old rutted drive that led to an unimproved launch.

2021-04-11-001.jpg 2021-04-11-002.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm glad you like it.

Given the weather forecast - sunny and 90s - for the ribbon cutting it may make sense to go paddling in the morning and come back at noon for the ribbon cutting.

(I don't know why they picked noon on a weekday in July, go figure.)

Lisa

Comment

For those who regularly launch and fish out of the Solly ramp, is it safe to eat the fish you catch in that area?
        Moses was once a basket case, so there's hope for you.

Comment

Originally posted by CarrollB View Post
          For those who regularly launch and fish out of the Solly ramp, is it safe to eat the fish you catch in that area?
          https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Ma...Advisories.pdf

https://mdewin64.mde.state.md.us/WSA/FCA/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

I have used the new park 3 times at least now. It's great. I would be there but in Williamsburg. Hope everyone has a great time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I attended today’s event, but didn’t take my yak. Wish I had—plenty of fish were jumping out on the water! Living in Arnold, I will def make use of this location. Thanks to all of those on this site who helped it happen.
              Al

Comment

Going out tomorrow Morning! only a few minutes away from my house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Jay

2022 Hobie Lynx - Dune

Comment

Couple of years ago I aged out of being able to load my 16’, 60#, Oldtown canoe on top of my Subaru Forester. So I bought a Trailex kayak/canoe trailer. It has worked out well. For several years I’ve successfully launched my canoe from the original Solley launch by the VFW cartop launch, both from the top of my car when I still could, then later from my trailer using strap-on wheels.

Question; Can I launch my canoe from the new Solley’s launch from a trailer? And is there parking for a trailered canoe there? Is my trailer even allowed there? I do have wheels for my canoe just in case. I never back my trailer into the water but I would like to get the end of my trailer within 10’-15’ from the water’s edge.
                  Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

100%. There is a full on boat ramp with tons of trailer parking.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X