New Book Released: Fly by the Seat of Your Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book Released: Fly by the Seat of Your Kayak

I have written a second kayak fishing book. I published my first in 2016. The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing -- Tips and Tales from an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat was my “letter of appreciation” to the hobby of kayak fishing. It was a little bit of kayak fishing instruction and a little bit of storytelling about what makes our hobby so much fun. It sold well and remains available on Amazon. Also, I have a few copies available for those interested.

Ever since I wrote that first book, I have had another in mind – a “how to” book about kayak flyfishing. It was released for sale today on Amazon for $17.98.

The full title: Fly by the Seat of your Kayak -- A Guide to Simplified Kayak Flyfishing in Tidal Creeks and Freshwater Ponds

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BYDSTJX...2080_397514860

Screenshot 2021-08-06 090758.jpg

In it I explain that:
    • Kayak flyfishing is easy and effective.
    • Quality flyfishing equipment costs no more than conventional tackle.
    • You need only a few kinds of flies to catch multiple species.
    • You can target and catch the same species on the fly in your kayak that you do with light tackle.

Because I also use light tackle, I relate flyfishing to light tackle angling throughout the book. I did that to clarify flyfishing gear and techniques for those familiar only with conventional rods.

The book is nine chapters, 165 pages with color illustrations.

Table of Contents:

Introduction – Why flyfish in a kayak?

One – The Tools (Rods, Reels, Backing, Lines and Leaders.)

Two – The Flies (A few basic topwater and streamer fly patterns are all you need.)

Three – The Kayak (There is no perfect fishing kayak but most will suffice.)

Four – Accessories (Those you need, those that are nice to have and a popular one you can omit.)

Five – Techniques (Casting while seated and managing your fly line within the confines of your kayak.)

Six – Strategies on the Water (Trip planning, reading the water, manipulating the fly, setting the hook, landing your fish.)

Seven – The Fish You’ll Catch (When, where and how to catch five popular species and more.)

Eight – Safety (Staying afloat in all locations and seasons.)

Nine – Welcome to the Fraternity (The makings of a kayak fly angler.)

Acknowledgements – (Thanking those who enabled me to write this book.)

Author’s Note – (Fishing through life’s milestones.)

More information will be available on Amazon’s listing in a couple of days, including the “Look Inside” feature. In the interim, if you’d like a PDF excerpt of the Introduction to the book, I will send it to you via email. Also, I will have a limited number of copies in a few weeks that I can sell directly for less than Amazon’s price. Please PM me for details.

My goals in writing the book were to share what I’ve learned about kayak flyfishing and to encourage you to try the long rod in your kayak. Whether you buy the book or not, I hope I have piqued your interest. Please contact me If you have questions about kayak flyfishing. I’ll happily chat with you on the topic. If it can be arranged, I will join you on the water to give you a private tutorial. You’ll be shooting out line and catching fish on the fly in no time.

Thank you and tight lines to all,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Congratulations on publishing your new book. Your clear descriptions should help many other prospective kayak fly anglers.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on the new book!
      I'm sure that it will serve to get others involved with the fly fishing part of our passion.

Move over John Gierach.

Comment

Congratulations on your book. Having tried fly fishing I didn’t find it my cup of tea but I can see the appeal. I’m sure this book will be an excellent resource for someone looking to explore fly fishing.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks guys.

Indeed I worked hard to explain the nuances of kayak flyfishing while relating it to light tackle angling. I think it will be a very good reference for those who want to know more about it. Also, I will say that most who try it are captivated by it. It's a very different sensation to control your catches by hooking them and retrieving your line by hand in lieu of using a reel. That and the act of casting is what I enjoy the most.

Stu -- As to John Gierach, I could only wish. Talk about someone finding a niche in life. I love his books. He often says that his office is on the water. How lucky is that? I quoted him twice in my book. To me he's the Mark Twain of flyfishing literature. He's an American classic.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congrats Mark!
            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Mark, very cool. As an experienced kayak fly fisherman, it can be challenging. It is very cool catching fish on a fly you created, after casting on a fly rod and bringing the fish in by hand. Then combine it with the close quarters of a kayak, being right down at water level, and dealing with wind and moving water! Fun stuff.

Is the book only available in paperback? I have an Amazon Kindle that I've started to buy some books in electronic format.

Comment

Thank you Martin and Tom.

I cover fly line management in a kayak extensively which can problematic to the uninitiated. But I offer three techniques you can employ to make the task much easier. And as you stated Tom, manipulating the fly by hand, feeling the strike directly in your fingertips through the line and bringing the fish to the boat manually is what gives flyfishing its appeal to many.

As for Kindle, I have not chosen that option yet. I will see how sales progress (or don't) with the paperback version. I did upload the text to Kindle but I was not pleased with the resulting format which did not wrap text around some of the photos like the hardcopy edition. It just did not look as good as the printed version to my eye. Either I need to reformat specifically for Kindle, or let it go as is electronically. And I'm not ready to do either at the moment.

I priced the printed book low on Amazon's recommended pricing scale even though it has color photos and printing costs are higher than books with black and white illustrations. Believe me, Mr. Bezos does much better on these sales than his self-published authors. But that's OK. I appreciate Amazon's capabilities that have allowed me to share what I know about kayak flyfishing to a larger audience. I don't expect a financial gain commensurate with the effort I put into the book, nor do I want one. I just want folks to know how gratifying and easy it is to catch fish on the fly in their kayaks.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark this is awesome. I think either of your books will make great gifts for my fellow avid kayak angler friends.
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon
                  IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Congrats, I want one!!
                    I love collecting the local books. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. These things are WAY more work than most realize.
                    Can I get a signed copy from you?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Alan,

Thank you.

Absolutely, I will mail you a signed book when I get my stash. Interestingly, I've received feedback from some who have already received their copies from Amazon. But mine are not scheduled to arrive until the week of 21 August.

A book is like a child. At a point, you have to let it go out into the world after putting your heart and soul into its development. Indeed, it's a lot of work to organize it and to write and rewrite and hope you got it right. I actually miss working on it now. But that will pass soon enough.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Alan,

A book is like a child. At a point, you have to let it go out into the world after putting your heart and soul into its development. Indeed, it's a lot of work to organize it and to write and rewrite and hope you got it right. I actually miss working on it now. But that will pass soon enough.
                        Oh man, those are my exact same sentiments! Writing a book is like having a friend each night to spend time with. It's a weird feeling when it's done.
                        When they come in, send me a message and we'll go from there. Thanks, looking forward to it!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Just a quick note to let you know that my stash of books has arrived from Amazon.

Books (2).jpg

For those of you who have requested a signed copy, I will mail it shortly. I will have a limited number of copies for others that I can personalize. Please PM me if interested.

Also, the "Look Inside" feature is presently enabled on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Seat-Your...9714479&sr=8-2

Again, thanks to all for the encouraging words.
                          Attached Files
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I love your writing style Mark. You can be very proud of this one. I just posted a review on Amazon, which says it should be up in a day or two. Thanks for the contributions to the local sport! I am getting dangerously close to buying my first fly rod!!

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Thank you, Alan. I deeply appreciate your gracious endorsement both here and on Amazon.

I’m sure you’ll agree that the best reward in writing an instructional book is not its sales. It’s knowing that we have helped others to pursue their passion. We each have done our best in that regard.

If you do try the long rod and need some help in getting the fly to the fish, call me. I’ll have you tossing a tight loop on target in no time.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X