Weems Creek after the storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek after the storm

On Wed afternoon, a tornado touched down at several spots in Edgewater and Annapolis. The storm dropped quite a bit of rain in our area too. Although the wind forecast for this morning was high (17-18 mph average with gusts over 30 mph), I ventured out into Weems about 8:30 to see what things looked like. With the strong winds coming from the north, I could stay near the far shoreline and be out of the wind. It was pretty calm there. I worked my way toward the creek mouth and caught a few perch to chase away the skunk. The water looked like coffee with cream, and the water level was low. There was not nearly as much floating debris as I had expected.

At the creek mouth, I poked out into the Severn River for less than a minute and quickly turned around and came back inside the creek because of the wind and waves. From the mouth, I paddled all the way to the back end of the creek where I shallowed out before reaching the last house. I looked around for major damage to trees, houses, and docks. To my surprise, I saw almost no evidence that a major storm had come through there the day before. One sad exception was the Parker cabin boat that has been tied to the last anchor ball in the creek for several years. It is no longer floating upright -- rather it is upside down. Based on an online map of where the tornado actually touched down, it looks like this boat was directly in the path of the tornado. That was bad luck as another boat was tied to a separate anchor ball 100 to 200 yds away and appeared unaffected.

2021-04-11-002.jpg2021-04-11-003.jpg

All in all, conditions were less extreme in Weems Creek than I had anticipated. I managed 7 perch and 1 small striper for the 2-hour trip, but my primary goal today was observation rather than catching.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-03-2021, 06:55 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I would be more worried about the harmful bacteria blooms from the bypass of upstream wastewater treatment plants...not familiar with that area but it is connected to the Bay...watching the Philadelphia flooding and the "above Flood stages" of the river systems feeding the Bay...figure it is going to take a few days and multiple tidal cycles to flush the Bay...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Pennsylvania got hit way harder in terms of rainfall then we did. Half the state was covered in a red blob on the radar yesterday. I'm wondering how long it will take the water from the Suskie to make it down here.
      - Cliff

Hobie Compass
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        I would be more worried about the harmful bacteria blooms from the bypass of upstream wastewater treatment plants...not familiar with that area but it is connected to the Bay...watching the Philadelphia flooding and the "above Flood stages" of the river systems feeding the Bay...figure it is going to take a few days and multiple tidal cycles to flush the Bay...
        I don't think there are any treatment plants on the Severn, but there are issues with this on the Patapsco even before the storm.

https://bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/...se-wastewater/
        Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks for the recon. Was thinking about going out tomorrow and was wondering how things looked down there.

Comment

The water in Weems and the Severn looked much cleaner today than yesterday -- almost back to normal. But the fish were not biting well.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Same experience this afternoon. Beautiful day. No fish.

Comment

Working...
              X