Paddle choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle choices

I need to replace a few lost paddles. I have 6-7 kayaks and typ take out 2-3 people.
    I dont buy EXPENSIVE paddles,, or the super cheap "ribbed blade" paddles.

The Bass Pro Angler paddle with the fiberglass shaft and flat blades, with built in measure tape WOULD be great at $79,, except for the grass snagging slots in the blades.

EVERY "Kayak Angler" paddle now has those stupid grass catcher slots in the blades.

I am looking for a sub $90 paddle, orange (hi viz) blades, glass shafts, built in measure tape.

Any ideas?
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

I've never used them, but I've heard decent things about Academy's Magellan (store brand) paddles. Take a look and see if you find one you like, I see a few in your price range that meet your specs: https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...paddles--oars?

I agree the notch in the blade is useless. I suspect it would be really easy to fill in with epoxy if you wanted to. They also sell tape measure decals you can put on the shaft of your paddle if you find one that meets all your other criteria except for the built in tape measure.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I own two Werner Camano paddles because they're lightweight.

They won't meet your price criteria. They don't have the "hook saver" notch either.

However, a hint for anyone paddling in grass is to reverse your paddle, regardless of brand, so that the concave side of the blade faces forward. You won't get the same "bite" into the water. But you will move forward without picking up the vegetation on your blades.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

We are now at the start of the fall season. In another few months, many kayak shops or kayak rental outfits will hold sales to move out inventory. If you can wait until Nov or Dec, you may be able to find leftover stock or used paddles from the rental fleets at reduced prices. It would not hurt to see what they have in current inventory. If you are buying multiple paddles at the same time, a shop may be willing to offer you a deal.

Also check out Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I like my Aquabound Manta Ray Hybrid 2-piece. It's twice the cost of the Bass Pro one you mentioned, but far from an expensive paddle when you look at the market. And there is no hook in the blade.
          Brian

Comment

check out the day tripper from Carlisle which is aluminum. Or bending branches slice or sunrise which have fiberglass shafts.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Have a bending branches Angler Carbon fiber shaft but just got a Yakgear Assassin which was nice light and strength shaft for push polling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
              X