Structure You May Not See

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structure You May Not See

If you fish ponds on the Eastern Shore or swampy tidal areas in the southeast portions of the U.S., you have seen Bald Cypress trees. They may grow along the shoreline or they may grow in the water itself.

Here is a stand of Bald Cypress in Trap Pond, DE:

P1010539.jpg

Obviously, the trunks of these trees make great structure for fish. I’ve long lost count of how many bass and pickerels I have caught that were cozied up to the trunks of bald cypress trees. I find it great fun to methodically target each trunk in a stand of cypress trees with my lures and flies.

A feature of these trees is an extensive root system. Sometimes their roots extend above the surface of the water. Exposed roots are called “knees”. They are also good target areas.

I’ve underlined bald cypress knees in red in this photo:

Cypress knees1 (3)_LI.jpg

In ponds with no tidal flow, the roots of cypress trees may be hidden from view. However, in tidal areas, you may see them. This past weekend, I fished a tidal river in VA during an extremely low tide. Here’s a cypress root system where fish may be hiding on a high tide:

cypress knees.jpg

The roots are quite extensive and as you can see, they may extend far from the trunk. They provide excellent hiding places for predatory fish waiting for a meal to swim by. Also, because they may be submerged and hidden from view, they may snag your lures or flies. That usually doesn't result in a loss of your offerings because you can easily retrieve them in the shallow water. But you will disrupt your fishing area while doing so. To limit snags I fish topwater lures and flies or Bendback minnow flies (they ride with their hook point up) or weedless plastic lures near bald cypress trees.

So don't ignore these trees as potential holding spots for fish. Understand that they they may have submerged structure that you cannot see around them. And, because of their extensive root system work your first casts a few feet around the periphery of the trunk and then move toward its to base. But don't beat an area to death. A hungry fish will strike in short order. I make only two or three casts and then move on to the next tree.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-15-2021, 08:29 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I fished several areas over eastern NC like this. Not sure about up here but down there the trees are some of the oldest in the world. I agree to the cover but u can pitch at a thousand and only catch one fish. Another part of it is picking up on any difference on that one root or tree. If u can pick up on that if u can see one it can make a world of difference. Sometimes it's near by structure, the bottom mud or more solid. Change in the bank or u see a "creek" or water running farther back then other spots. Can't find my pics to explain. But totally agree and just have to dial it in.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

No matter where I fish, my casts on an outing exceed my catches by a very very wide margin. Honestly, if that wasn't the case, fishing would be boring to me. So it's a good thing I like to cast. Hitting my target is almost as satisfying as a hookup. A fish is the icing on the cake.

Yes, I believe bald cypress trees are long-lived. I first saw their stand at Trap Pond over 40 years ago and they look the same to me now as they did then, although surely they must be taller. I suspect they are slow-growing. Indeed they are a wonderful natural addition to an environment that many of us like to fish.

I just wanted to remind folks that they provide more cover for fish than we may actually see.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Very cool. I eventually plan to fish some areas like those in Eastern NC.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Very cool. I eventually plan to fish some areas like those in Eastern NC.
          When you do, you'll feel like you've gone back centuries in time to a place undisturbed by humans:

P1030935 (1).jpg P1030937 (1).jpg P1030948 (1).jpg
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

A timely post... I'll be going to Trap next month. I'll make sure to give the cypress trees a little more attention.
            Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
            2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
              A timely post... I'll be going to Trap next month. I'll make sure to give the cypress trees a little more attention.
              Dave,

You'll have plenty of trees to target!

Also, don't forget the lily pads as this October 2020 photo from Trap shows:

P1050228 (3).jpg

They'll be yellowed and decaying but they'll still hold fish. Cast into gaps in the pads and/or work the edges. You can also drag weedless lures over them. You'll see a bow wave of the fish moving the pads before it strikes.

Good luck.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

If u ever head down to east NC merchant mill pond is some awesome cypress fishing. The whole thing is gorgeous Cypress trees. There is plenty of cool wildlife. Don't be scared most things are more scared of us. The only thing I get nervous about are the water moccasin. U can smell their nest. This pic I downloaded but did see a gator there. But the whole place is Cypress trees. This is why I say figuring out a pattern is important to catch fish. I agree casting is so satisfying in its self ( I use to cast to pots in my backyard) but just as satisfying if not more is figuring out the fish. There is so many great places to fish down there with in a hour u can't even do it in a weekend. I stay at relatives at a little town but ahoskie is a little town but has a hotel or two that are close to ton of great fishing. Even getting to the sound is not that far. DM me and I'll send u a couple spots if u get down there

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Brave turtles.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                  X