No announcement yet.

Heads Up Talbot County limiting use of public boat ramps and public landings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Up Talbot County limiting use of public boat ramps and public landings

Heads up in Talbot County:

https://www.stardem.com/news/local_n...6a045e7eb.html

Talbot County Parks & Rec effectively "signs out" anyone who doesn't have a trailered boat from using public boat ramps and public landings.

Talbot County email addresses for comments, suggestions and protests:

Talbot County Manager: cbstamp@talbotcountymd.gov
    Talbot County Office of Tourism: tourism@talbotcountymd.gov
    Talbot County Council President: ccallahan@talbotcountymd.gov
    Talbot County Parks and Recreation Director: ppeper@talbotcountymd.gov

PS Dogwood Harbor on Tilghman Island has a huge parking lot.

It took 100 calls over two years to get use of these public boat ramps and public landings unilaterally effectively restricted to trailered boats. Time to push back.

Letters to the editor are also helpful, particularly if you live on the Eastern Shore and/or use the Talbot County ramps.

Lisa

A draconian approach by Talbot County that creates a larger problem than it is intended to solve.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Dorchester is doing the same thing. In the last year many of the popular launch spots for snakehead fishing now have signs all over them for boat trailers only. The worst part is there's hardly ever boats at these spots, maybe 1 or 2 at any given time. However, kayakers flock to the spots because of their easy access to shallow water that boats can not access. They've also put signs on the sides of the roads prohibiting parking, so kayakers really have no recourse. I've emailed Dorchester county about it and got no response.
      Last edited by dsaavedra; 09-16-2021, 12:54 PM.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
        Heads up in Talbot County:

<snip>

Letters to the editor are also helpful, particularly if you live on the Eastern Shore and/or use the Talbot County ramps.
        How to send a Letter to the Editor of The Star Democrat: https://www.stardem.com/site/contact.html

The Star Democrat is published Wednesday through Friday.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
          Dorchester is doing the same thing. In the last year many of the popular launch spots for snakehead fishing now have signs all over them for boat trailers only. The worst part is there's hardly ever boats at these spots, maybe 1 or 2 at any given time. However, kayakers flock to the spots because of their easy access to shallow water that boats can not access. They've also put signs on the sides of the roads prohibiting parking, so kayakers really have no recourse. I've emailed Dorchester county about it and got no response.
          Grrrr. Here are some other options for contacting Dorchester County. I've talked with the head of DPW before, but it's been years.

I think the Department of Public Works Highway Division is in charge of Dorchester County boat ramps, not Recreation and Parks. The county website doesn't have email addresses for the heads of DPW and Rec & Parks. Maybe you can find email addresses on the websites listed or call for email addresses.

Director of Dorchester County Tourism: Amanda@VisitDorchester.org
          First Council District: jnewcomb@docogonet.com
          Second Council District: wnichols@docogonet.com
          Third Council District: rtravers@docogonet.com
          Fourth Council District: lpfeffer@docogonet.com
          Fifth Council District: lnagel@docogonet.com
          Director of Recreation and Parks Frank Stout: https://www.dorchesterrecreation.org/aboutus.html
          Director of Public Works Dave Edwards: https://dorchestercountymd.com/depar...hway-division/
          County Manager: Vacant

There are only 35,000 people in Dorchester County. Some of the county staffers may be wearing more than one hat.

Lisa

Comment

Word to the wise, phone calls will always go a lot further than emails. Emails are much easier to ignore, especially given all the form emails that go out to government offices. Its much harder to ignore an actual human being on the end of the line. The fact the article quoted how many calls they received while saying nothing about the number of emails tells you all you need to know.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Beard View Post
              Word to the wise, phone calls will always go a lot further than emails. Emails are much easier to ignore, especially given all the form emails that go out to government offices. Its much harder to ignore an actual human being on the end of the line. The fact the article quoted how many calls they received while saying nothing about the number of emails tells you all you need to know.
              I have to say that my emails to Anne Arundel County council members, even members not representing my district, on water access issues raised on this forum have always been acknowledged by recipients. The same is true for various email inquiries I have sent to MD DNR officials. They have not always agreed with my position or had the answers I wanted. But I know from their replies that they read what I wrote.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Talbot County kayakers speak out in the Star Democrat against extreme public water access restrictions at public boat ramps and landings:

https://www.stardem.com/opinion/edit...1057074e3.html

Adding Talbot County Chamber of Commerce to Talbot County email list for complaints, protest and suggestions:

Talbot County email addresses for comments, suggestions and protests:

Talbot County Manager: cbstamp@talbotcountymd.gov
                Talbot County Office of Tourism: tourism@talbotcountymd.gov
                Talbot County Council President: ccallahan@talbotcountymd.gov
                Talbot County Parks and Recreation Director: ppeper@talbotcountymd.gov
                Talbot County Chamber of Commerce: info@talbotchamber.org

How to send your own letter to the edtor of The Star Democrat: https://www.stardem.com/site/contact.html

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                X