Choosing jig head weight for different depths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing jig head weight for different depths

I'm curious to hear how everyone selects jig head sizes for different depths. How do you estimate how deep a jig head & plastic will run? I'm sure it depends on many factors like trolling/retrieval speed, current flow, lure size, amount of line out when trolling. But I'm just looking for some general rules of thumb.

I have a variety of jig heads in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz sizes that I use with 3 to 5 inch paddle tails, typically trolling. I almost always have at least one 1/8 oz tied on for shallow water, 5 ft or less, but I have also caught fish on that same 1/8 oz head in 15 feet of water. I imagine the 1/8 oz is running in the top 2 to 3 feet of the water column. If I see fish suspended in deeper water I'm never quite sure which weight jig head I should be reaching for.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

There is no precise answer for your question as there can be many factors that determine how deep a lure will run. You already mentioned many of the key factors. I talk quite a bit about those things in my book. For those who have the book, look at pages 176-182, and 219-221.

Most of my fishing is geared to shallow water, which I define as 6 ft or less. I have found that when the water is 4 ft or less, I prefer a 1/8-oz, 3/16-oz, or 1/4-oz jighead. When the water is 5 or 6 ft deep or deeper, I often use 1/2-oz jigheads. The main determining factor is to keep the lure running in the water column and avoiding having the lure hit the bottom or any object that sticks up off the bottom (old log, etc.). On occasion, I may spend part of my trolling time in deeper water (up to 30 ft). I still use jigheads no heavier than 1/2-oz with only a few exceptions when I may use 3/4-oz or 1-oz if the entire trip will be in deeper water, and I think the fish are deeper.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      There is no precise answer for your question as there can be many factors that determine how deep a lure will run. You already mentioned many of the key factors. I talk quite a bit about those things in my book. For those who have the book, look at pages 176-182, and 219-221
      Is that your newest book? I don't have that one yet. I just finished reading your Comfort Zone book a few nights ago!

How deep do you think a 1/2oz jig runs on average? Assuming your normal trolling speeds, average current flow, normal* length of line out, etc.

* I guess defining a "normal" length of line for trolling is a tricky matter. I usually make a long cast behind the kayak, close the bail, and put the rod in the holder. Sometimes I will leave the bail open while several additional yards of line feed out if I want the lure really far behind me.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
        Is that your newest book? I don't have that one yet. I just finished reading your Comfort Zone book a few nights ago!

How deep do you think a 1/2oz jig runs on average? Assuming your normal trolling speeds, average current flow, normal* length of line out, etc.

* I guess defining a "normal" length of line for trolling is a tricky matter. I usually make a long cast behind the kayak, close the bail, and put the rod in the holder. Sometimes I will leave the bail open while several additional yards of line feed out if I want the lure really far behind me.
        "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" is my first fishing book. The latest, "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing" came out last winter. It is longer and more focused on the types of fishing I actually do at this time. The version with color photos costs $25, and with black and white photos $12. I usually carry several copies with me in the van. The next time we fish together you can get one or email me for mailing details.

To answer your question, I have snagged objects on the bottom (sunken branches, ghost crab pots) in 4 to 5 ft depth when trolling with a 1/2-oz jighead, but almost never bump a plain bottom when trolling in those depths. That suggests that the 1/2-oz jighead is running 3 to 4 feet down. Your speed, whether you are going straight or turning, whether moving with or against a current, type of line and lb test, angle of the rod off of horizontal when in the rod holder, and amount of line behind the kayak can all affect that somewhat.

I am qualitative, not quantitative about the length of line I put out. For the two rod holders in front of my seat, I typically make a light cast to the side or rear, close the bail, and set the rod in the holder. If I am running a third rod in a rear rod holder, I typically put the heaviest lure in my spread back there and make a slightly longer cast.

For me, the technique relies on what I observe. If I find that I am bumping bottom, I switch to a lighter jighead. Or I move to a deeper zone to keep the lure off the bottom.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for these insights John. I'll be interested to hear from others too!

I think I'll grab a copy of your newest book next time we fish. I also recently bought and read a copy of Alan Battista's book on light tackle trolling and really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll be reading/referring back to it plenty of times in the coming seasons.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

I used to troll 1/4 oz. jigheads, but during the quarantine my source could not get the hooks to pour his, so I bought his 1/8 oz. So now, that is all I use. I just drop my trolling speed back a tad and toss the lures back a few feet farther...same results...my heaviest heads are 3/8 oz. I use them on five inch ZMan swimbodies...works for me...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              I used to troll 1/4 oz. jigheads, but during the quarantine my source could not get the hooks to pour his, so I bought his 1/8 oz. So now, that is all I use. I just drop my trolling speed back a tad and toss the lures back a few feet farther...same results...my heaviest heads are 3/8 oz. I use them on five inch ZMan swimbodies...works for me...
              Do you use 1/8 or 1/4 oz in water deeper than 6 feet or so?
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo

Comment

Yep...8-10 FOW is no problem- was crossing the channel of 22 feet and hooked up a double...if the fish are hugging the bottom obviously you would have to use heavy weights or wire line to drag the baits...right now with surface water temps in the upper 70s most active fish are near the surface...next month I might discontinue todays lure choices I am using and go much bigger profile swimbaits in five and seven inch ZMan Diesel minnows with the 3/8 oz deathgrip jig heads...depending on the water temperature...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                X