Sandy Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Point

I am not new to Kayak fishing, but since retirement I have more time to explore fishing in and around Annapolis, hopefully on the bay. I visited Sandy Point to see their launching areas and was curious about launching from the power boat ramps area, but also the designated small boat ramp site. Does anyone fish north of the Bridge suitable to the location of the small boat ramp site. I have a Paddle Wilderness series Tarpon 14, for fishing. Since the weather has cooled off, I also would like some ideas about proper cool weather clothes to wear. I don't fish winter weather, but what do people wear for fishing this part of the bay in late october to mid November? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've never been to Sandy Point so I can't speak to that, but here is a recent thread about cold weather gear: https://www.snaggedline.com/showthre...-Kayak-Fishing If you use the search function at the top of the forum I am sure there are older posts too.

Welcome to the forum
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
      I've never been to Sandy Point so I can't speak to that, but here is a recent thread about cold weather gear: https://www.snaggedline.com/showthre...-Kayak-Fishing If you use the search function at the top of the forum I am sure there are older posts too.

Welcome to the forum
      Thanks! I am new to open water "Fall " fishing. Dry "bibs" fall in between my size, so I am wondering if a dry suit is necessary in the bay in November. Thanks again for your link!

Comment

Until the water temp drops below 60 degrees, I fish with the same clothes (maybe add a light fleece vest) I wear all other trips...fast drying Columbia nylon pants, 5 mm Aqualung dive boots, Columbia long sleeve fishing shirt...wide brim Yellowstone fishing hat, Costa Sunglasses, fingerless gloves...once the water temp gets 59 and below, I go with waders until mid- December...then store the kayak until Spring...started this routine when I got too old to fish all winter long at 73...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Ron. I guess the definition of "cold" weather is the key element. Water temps in the Bay Bridge area are at 70 degrees still. Practicality is important, and I am not experienced at this time of the year, in open water. I appreciate the detail you gave in your reply!

Comment

I haven't launched there yet, but I've been thinking about giving it a try since its one of the few places you can launch for night fishing on this side of the Bay. Given what's around there, I think its best as an access site to fish around the bridge itself, although you can catch stripers off of that beach. As for cold weather gear, once the air and water temps start getting below 60, its time to start wearing a dry suit. I bought one a couple winters ago, and it allowed me to comfortably fish through most of the winter. I was pickerel fishing clear through December, and was back on the water in late February to start chasing the perch run.
            - Cliff

Hobie Compass
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

I haven't launched my fishing kayak from Sandy Point, but I tried launching my paddling yak from the boat launch side and was told by a park ranger I "should not" do that. Ever since then I've launched from the beach site on the other side of the peninsula. Depending on the tide, there can be a considerable stretch of soft sand to launch, but they at times do have some of the old aircraft dirt runway strips down and those are a big help.
              ----------------------------------
              2018 Hobie Outback
              Bixpy Electric Power

Comment

Originally posted by RBobAnnap View Post
                I haven't launched my fishing kayak from Sandy Point, but I tried launching my paddling yak from the boat launch side and was told by a park ranger I "should not" do that. Ever since then I've launched from the beach site on the other side of the peninsula. Depending on the tide, there can be a considerable stretch of soft sand to launch, but they at times do have some of the old aircraft dirt runway strips down and those are a big help.
                I’m surprised they told you not to do that. As far as I’m concerned a boat is a boat is a boat. Now if you’re a person who sits at the ramp to rig up I can see the issue but if you drop your yak off, park and get right to it I’d say you’re fine. I launch from the ramps at PLO and have never had a ranger tell me to use the kayak launch. Now admittedly not as busy as Sandy Point it still gets a lot of traffic on weekends. When I do encounter a ranger they’re usually just curious how the fishing was.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Was the ranger referring to water conditions or launch site congestion??? I was told no motors allowed on the upper small craft launch site, reasoning that they meant electrics. As for fishing up there, versus under the bridge there is little to go on. Pedaling kayaks may be next years resolution,,, and a little electric power! I thought I read a recommendation that Kayaks should launch at the power boat ramps on the "sides" Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I've launched from the boat ramp and the soft launch with no issues. But I typically try to avoid launching at the boat ramp when it's busy, there are a TON of boats and it can get crazy being a small kayak. Both launches get you to fishable waters fairly easily so I enjoy launching at either spot.

One thing I like to do is launch from the soft launch and drift the drop off towards the Bay Bridge, catch some spot on the drop off and live line them at the bridge pilings.

Comment

That sounds like a plan. I like live lining but spend just as much time on lures, soft and hard. Fishing! Thanks to all for the input!

Comment

When the combined water and air temperature is less than 120° you should typically be in a dry suit – the dry suit does not keep you warm in the water but it keeps you dry. Wearing appropriate insulation underneath is the key for warmth. Whenever you are kayaking you must assume complete submersion. If you are wearing waders but no dry top that won’t work! In the early fall the sun can be warm and this may seem a bit overkill but if you go out any distance especially in the evening when the sun will soon set you must be prepared for emergency. It is truly shocking what unforeseen incidences can occur. I found myself in dire trouble the New Jersey simply 150 yards offshore when a huge fog bank came in and the wind picked up and the temperature dropped I could not see the front of my kayak and the sun dropped. Had to be rescued! Was cold in my dry suit even while still in my yak. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks jbrown ! In my younger days I had a life threatening event on the Bay, although I was in a very small powerboat. Racing a squall for the shore, the motor died, lights failed and zero visibility in just a few minutes. I was dead on the water, soaked to the bone with only a flashlight. After the storm subsided,,,It was dark a couple of hours when I flashed SOS on that flashlight and was picked up by a huge tug boat. They took me into Baltimore cold and wet, and very grateful. I experienced how fast these things happen. I appreciate your advice and you make an important point, bad conditions turn on you in the blink of an eye in open water. Taking the best precaution on open water, especially as you age, can make all the difference in the world.

Comment

Working...
                          X