Super shallow, slow spinnerbaits for perch and snakeheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super shallow, slow spinnerbaits for perch and snakeheads

Back in the 1970s an innovative bass tournament angler came up with the ideal super slow,shallow running design for a jig spinner. It was named the "l'il Jewel" developed by legendary Billy Phillips from Tennessee. Perfect for shallow tidal waters and bank hugging perch ! Imagine my surprise when I learned this 50 year old miracle spinnerbait, with its flat planing style head is now being hand constructed again by a master craftsman in his home shop by the name of John McBride. John was a 40 year student of Billy and his careful, meticulous design, now dedicating his business to the late Mr. Phillips' highly successful fishing career. view them at(The Original Billy Phillips Lure company.com)

looks legit
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice looking spinner.

Actually, the title of the thread should be changed to, "Super shallow, slow spinnerbaits for perch and snakeheads and anything that swims".

I've lost count of the aquatic species I have caught on lightweight jig spinners and that includes fish and turtles.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, I agree totally -Ill be fishing soon for Fall trout here in PA with jig spins, and even muskies with the 1/8 oz Little Jewel, using my 6 lb mono and light rods. But long ago, Billy Phillips found the way ,with his special welded planing head (or" spoon") to enable working even shallower, slower, and more comfortable (less retreiving drag) than standard small spins. When he entered B.A.S.S. tournaments in the 70s (as essentially an amateur in a jon boat) his little spinnerbait enabled him to beat fabled Bill Dance,at the top of his game, in his first outing! Later Mr. Phillips took 4th in the CLASSIC !

Comment

Working...
        X