Successful Meet 'N Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just now got a chance to log on...

Today was definitely the scariest day in a yak for me. I saw the boat driving fast through the shallows well out of the channel, thought that was odd, noticed it was going to pass close to Don, but it seemed like it was going to pass behind him. I thought it was going to be obnoxious but not life threatening. I heard my rod pop, looked over my shoulder to check it, and looked back in time to see Don waving and the boat turn at the last second. Then it looked like Don was body surfing the wake almost like he was running on the water. I only took my eye off the situation for a split second, and the boat covered that much ground that quickly. As I watched Don coming off his kayak and go into the water, I was relieved that his yak was between him and the boat, and it seemed like he was moving around in the water OK. I wish I kept watching and waved at the guy or something, but that could've made it worse. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. Don was amazingly calm and clear-headed, which was better than me or the boater. I'm glad you're only a bit sore. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Anyway, it was really slow for me today. I couldn't buy a fish until just before camelbird hooked up with the big one. I can verify that it had his rod doubled over big time. Just before he hooked into the proverbial one that got away, I picked up a 12" perch, which might be a personal best:

Note the perfectly furled flag showing the snaggedline logo.

I only took a few other pics today because a chain broke on my Mirage drive after about 7.5 miles of trolling. It was a long paddle back into the wind. Also, my dry suit, which I've only worn twice since it was repaired, might have a leak in the seat.

Anyhow, it was good to catch up with everyone again and to meet some new faces. I think there were a couple guys I didn't get a chance to talk with, so I'll have to make up for that next time, which I hope will be less scary. Thanks to Don for putting this one together. Lunch was fun, too.
    Last edited by ictalurus; 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

A few more pics

'Yaker at the Gates of Dawn:

The dawn:
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Glad everyone enjoyed the day. Dogfish glad to hear your okay. You should definitely report the incident I'm guessing the marine police. And hopefully the boat owner replaces your gear and really takes care of you for his carelessness.

Comment

I only got a chance to meet a couple of you guys this morning but I had a good time. I was parked in the back of the lot and as I am preparing to launch mostly everyone paddled or motored by. . I thought to myself "am I the only one paddling these days". LOL! Ive never fished this river before and didnt know the best place to crab so I ventured where I thought I saw another crabber head. Traveled a good way from the launch and found him. It was ShadyFisher who was another crabber today and I placed my traps about 75 yards from his which looked like a good area. Shady it was good to meet you and thanks for the fish. Worked great. Baited traps with chicken knecks and sunfish carcass. The crabs were in deeper water today 12'-14'. This was my first meet and greet but look forward to seeing you guys again. Ended the day with a nice 2 doz. crabs.

Comment

Wow! Dogfish- What an experience- sorry you went through that- had to have been a hell of a shock to your system- probably someone should have gotten on the VHF and reported the boating accident to the USCG
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Dogfish and everyone. I had a great day though for much of it I seemed to be just out of synch in fishing with Guys.
              I trolled past the crabbers 50/50 paddle to pedal there, by the way JA Veil, caught nothing trolling the narrows very hard with a charter in the area getting equally skunked. Went to shelby bay just behind Medicyakker (I think) who was fly fishing with a buddy...another 50/50 paddle pedal split....and I started catching lot s of 6-10" rocks. At least 2 dozon from there to the mourh of the "lake". Only had one decent fish about 14". But the white rooster tail was irrisistable to the babies.
              Trolled back over to the other side and ran into more guys..all skunked on Rocks till camel bird caught his first. then the current must have picked up because we all started picking up perch and /or tiny rockfish....oddly that group was also 50/50 paddle to peddle ....if you count Bill in both catagories since he only had one fin working! I'll stick with paddle till I get in better shape....though I bet a 14 ft boat would function a lot better.
              Camel was destined to lose that big fish......too many cameras out!!! The big ones are camera shy (see my last PLO post.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
              Lunch was fun. Ran up to elkton before returning to Lex Park....so I am a bit tired. Wind was tough for trolling with arms only. I enjoyed my four bite of fried perch though!
              Dogfish....wow! At lunch you sure UNDER told the story...Powerboat at full speed? A tasty little detail to leave out....I might have even bought your lunch!
              Last edited by kevinfry; 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: forgot something
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                I stayed out longer than I was going to but it worked out well for me. After going to the lighthouse and back and all over the river with the skunk still sitting on the yak, I made my way over to the first cove on the left heading away from the launch site. At about 3:00 the wind and tide started to work for me. In about 6 feet of water I set up a drift for about 100 yards. In the next hour I caught over 40 white perch. Blood worm on bottom rig was ticket. 2 and 4 fish at a time.

I started to jig to get somepractice but was unable to land one on a jig. I need more practice.

It was a good day on the water, as always it was nice to see old faces and meet new ones.
                Here are a couple pictures. Tufnik out at the light and a couple of the Perch I caught.
                Attached Files
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate all the well wishes. It was quite a shock. Yes, the material items are secondary to my coming out in one piece.

Looks like the crabbers did well for their selves.

Glad everyone had a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH;
                    Looks like the crabbers did well for their selves.

Except for me lol...damn faulty kill switch!

Glad you are ok again dogfish.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

DOGFISH I'm glad to hear you're okay after such an incident.

It's ridiculous that someone driving a vehicle that size and weight would be blasting around and not paying attention to where he's going. I've spent many, many hours fishing from my own boats and have always said and still say, we can't fix STUPID!!! I've seen so many stupid people doing stupid things with boats that it's simply amazing that more people aren't killed or injured every year on the Bay and other waters in this state. I just started fishing from a kayak this year and every time I go into the "bigger" waterways I'm always hoping to make it back without some clown in a motorboat hitting me. If that clown didn't see a hunter orange hooded sweatshirt and your flag, he won't see anything.

I hope the boat owner is responsible enough to replace all of your lost and/or damaged gear. That's the least he can do. I certainly think the incident should be reported to the Natural Resource Police. That's just my opinion.

Be safe out there people. Lots of dangerous, stupid people driving really dangerous machines and not paying attention.
                      2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Kevinfry that was On the fly and good ol boy you saw over by Selby bay fishing the rock wall in front of the house. We just kept catching those 6-7" stripers. Some smaller than the fly I was using but had a great day.

Dogfish glad you are OK, hope all gets replaced and repaired.

Comment

I stand corrected!! Should have asked...
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Again, thanks.

Also, thanks to medicyaker for helping me get my kayak out of the water, when I got back to the launch.

Comment

I was mad that I couldn't make the M&G. Glad to hear that your ok Dogfish!

Comment

Great to hear you're ok Don! That is definitely a scary story that could have gone very differently.

Looks like I missed an eventful M&G. My schedule this season has been terrible for making the schedule.
                                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X