No announcement yet.

Successful Meet 'N Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered the waterproof recreational strobe and flashlight combo from Amazon for $27, free shipping.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
      I suggest we go a step further, (and I bet Don may agree) why not just get a flare gun and if a PBer gets too close we light the sucker up. I'm sure a flare coming at them at 280-350fps would get their attention. I don't mean to make light of the accident that nearly killed one of our own, but we need to bring this to the attention of the powers that be. There should be an awareness promo of some type for the smaller vessels out there. There are milions spent every year on the awareness of Motocycles on our nations hwys. As a Firefighter and Diver, Ive personally recovered the body's of 2 poeple killed on Jet Skis that were runover by a Powerboater. I don't know what we could do about this other that pray it doesn't happen again. Thanks for letting me vent.
      I have thought about the flare gun solution, kept in the pocket of my vest. Although, I may just have it pass close by them. Odd enough, the air horn that I found, with the velcro attachment, is actually made for jet skis. I know with my experience, there is only so much time once the boat is heading for you. It happens quick. Whatever safety measures you take, it must be readily at hand.

Boaters really need to keep their attention where they are going. I know when I have had boats, my attention was always on the water where I was heading. There can be things like logs, boards, debris, crab pot buoys or even kids on floats. A kayak is not much larger. When I was in high school, I had a friend who had been hit by a boat while swimming. He surrived but was terribly crippled.

Comment

air horn

Don, where did you find the air horn with the velcro. I would like to get one of those.
        Thanks
        Tom
        Tom Brown
        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
        2012 Hobie PA 14'
        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
          Don, where did you find the air horn with the velcro. I would like to get one of those.
          Thanks
          Tom
          West Marine.

Comment

Dogfish,
            Is that the best place to launch to get to St Thomas lighthouse? I don't quite remember if it's locked up. If so, I'll have to find another launch site because I'd like to fish that area again.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I'd like to hit Thomas PT Light in the spring. Back when I had my 14ft runabout I used to cast plugs off the rocks there with MUCH luck. So my vote is for springtime TPL.
              Tom Brown
              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
              2012 Hobie PA 14'
              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                Dogfish,
                Is that the best place to launch to get to St Thomas lighthouse? I don't quite remember if it's locked up. If so, I'll have to find another launch site because I'd like to fish that area again.
                The park has a gate, but you can get a permit. You can get a permit at Quiet Waters Park for Thomas Point Park. They are available on the last Thursday of a month for a permit for the following month. However, you better be there at 9:00 when the office opens, as the 60 monthly permits go fast. You should call Quiet Waters to get all the details. With that said, Thomas Point is not that great a place to launch a kayak. The entire shore is rip-rap. It is difficult to launch over the rocks. During the day, you can drive down there and take a look at it to see if it is worth your buying a monthly permit.

I think the better place to launch is Beverly Beach Park. They allow canoe and kayak launching from that park. You can read about that area on the Anne Arundel County, Recreation and Parks web site. It requires a yearly permit for kayak launching. It is over in the Selby area, which is on the other side of the South River from where we fished. It would allow you to fish the same waters. They are the only two public launch areas for that area. You can access all the details on the county web site.

The area is generally very good fishing. This year has been a challenge. The fish have been scattered, but when you would find the fish, it would be a good number in a school. That is why I generally troll, to find where they are, on any given day. That is what I was doing on the 22nd, on my regular search pattern. That is till my day was cut short. I am pretty much done for this year until I get my kayak and motor back in order. However, I will post on the forum in the spring when I am going fishing.

Good luck on choosing an acceptable park or launch area.

Comment

Working...
                X