Peddle kayaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
    Another place to check is Delaware Paddle Sports. Its a bit of a drive but Lewes is a nice town, you could make a weekend trip of it. As an added bonus there is no sales tax in DE which, on a $4000 kayak, saves you about $250 bucks versus buying in Maryland. I bought my Hobie Outback from them last November and they had plenty in stock - and that was a time when supply chains were probably more disrupted than they are now.
    Thanks for lead Dave. No problem driving to Lewes to save $250... and visit the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by dsitka View Post
      I'm sure this is an old topic, but I am looking forward to changing into a peddle kayak with a bit more stability. Is there any such think as a unanimous stand out kayak to kill for. I am hoping to get something late this year and right now pondering Hobie's "Pro Angler" with is the "Outback" running a close second. I have a tarpon 140 that is fitted out and my main problem is accessing the rear compartment. In fact i have capsized the boat just reaching for gear. Part of this is on me. Bad back and old. What's the popular boats out there? Thanks
      If by "peddle" you mean "pedal," my choice would be either a Hobie Revolution 13 (I'm on my second one), the Outback or the Compass. I've tried other pedal - driven kayaks and Hobie immediately rises to the top. Try different manufacturers and pick the one you like best that falls within your budget. I too am old, but if you've dumped just reaching for gear behind you, maybe the PA is the way to go. But $$$$$.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
      Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired
      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Hate to throw shade in the mix but I would demo one before you buy. You mention a bad back and sometimes long pedaling distances can be murder on knees and back. I did that several years ago and glad I did as I found out there would be no way I would be able to sustain that for hours at a time so I opted for a kayak that had other features I was looking for knowing I would put an electric motor on it and no buying a boat was not a considered option. For me that was the perfect solution. With that said IMO the Hobie Mirage drive is tough to beat especially for grassy and shallow water areas.

Comment

Typo

Originally posted by Jim McFalls View Post
          If by "peddle" you mean "pedal," my choice would be either a Hobie Revolution 13 (I'm on my second one), the Outback or the Compass. I've tried other pedal - driven kayaks and Hobie immediately rises to the top. Try different manufacturers and pick the one you like best that falls within your budget. I too am old, but if you've dumped just reaching for gear behind you, maybe the PA is the way to go. But $$$$$.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
          Thanks, for catching my typo,,,It's not just the body that ages. Stability is my main concern, not so much the cost. Inventories are low now,,, so shopping is a challenge. From comments on this forum and browsing online I am leaning toward Hobie. Did you buy from a local dealer when you bought yours.

Comment

I hear you. I looked at Torqeedo as a possible plan B. Stability, fishing/seating ergonomics and hands free propulsion are my priorities. Thanks for your input, we may be in the same boat...

Comment

I bought my latest Revo in August of 2018 at Backyard Boats in Annapolis. There was a 2 week back order because of the color I wanted. I love it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              Jim McFalls
              MSG US Army Retired
              US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
              2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
              2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
              Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
              YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

If you want stability and the ability to stand then you might want to look at the Kaku Zulu.
                https://kakukayaks.com/collections/z...40069571444894

It is made in Florida and has unparalleled stability. Standing is simple and the seat is comfortable and sturdy. It has an open deck with plenty of gear track and space behind he seat that lets you rig however you want. It has a prop pedal drive system and is compatible with Torqeedo or other motors. It costs about half of some of the Hobies. It also paddles pretty well for a heavy kayak.

On the downside it is a beast when fully rigged. Having a trailer would make it much easier to transport. It is great as a fishing platform for fishing creeks, flats and marshes. I have not had it open water like the bay.

Comment

Nice. Do you car top or trailer your kayak?

Comment

Thanks for the link Peltz. One thing I notice about most pedal boats,,, well,most fishing kayaks,,, is the higher seat position. I assume this raises the center of gravity. In my area, tidal waters get choppy, and the wind can pick up quickly. Ten years ago I bought my Tarpon 140. I sit close to the waterline, and it is tough to reach the rear storage bay without rocking the boat. I like the Kaku hull design, lot of space forward the seat, and with the squared off stern I could see a Torqeedo would be easy to mount.

Comment

Only once in my 7 years have I lowered my seat to the low position due to conditions. It has to get really gnarly to feel tippy in a PA, and trust me, most of those 7 years there was a ton of mass sitting high above the waterline. Both my hips are fake so I need and want that elevation to ease exit and entrance in the yak.
                      Mike
                      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                        Only once in my 7 years have I lowered my seat to the low position due to conditions. It has to get really gnarly to feel tippy in a PA, and trust me, most of those 7 years there was a ton of mass sitting high above the waterline. Both my hips are fake so I need and want that elevation to ease exit and entrance in the yak.
                        Reassuring to know. The hull's design is likely providing more stability... I like the adjustability feature in the PA's seat. The weather is looking a bit frosty next week, but I might try the PA in Annapolis before they shut off test rides. I hope to get a hands on experience,,, I am getting a lot of good experiential advice from you guys that is answers a lot of questions I have. Thanks Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by dsitka View Post
                          Reassuring to know. The hull's design is likely providing more stability... I like the adjustability feature in the PA's seat. The weather is looking a bit frosty next week, but I might try the PA in Annapolis before they shut off test rides. I hope to get a hands on experience,,, I am getting a lot of good experiential advice from you guys that is answers a lot of questions I have. Thanks Mike.
                          If your thinking PA then you might consider taking a look at the OldTown Sportman Autopilot 136 also.
                          https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors...-autopilot-136

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                            If your thinking PA then you might consider taking a look at the OldTown Sportman Autopilot 136 also.
                            https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors...-autopilot-136
                            I am definitely interested in electric power...I fished an Old Town Canoe for more than a decade. Smallmouth on the upper reaches of the Potomac, the Eastern Shore ponds, the Delaware River and even some Kent Narrows trips. All before I got my Kayak. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Peltz View Post
                              If you want stability and the ability to stand then you might want to look at the Kaku Zulu.
                              https://kakukayaks.com/collections/z...40069571444894

It is made in Florida and has unparalleled stability. Standing is simple and the seat is comfortable and sturdy. It has an open deck with plenty of gear track and space behind he seat that lets you rig however you want. It has a prop pedal drive system and is compatible with Torqeedo or other motors. It costs about half of some of the Hobies. It also paddles pretty well for a heavy kayak.

On the downside it is a beast when fully rigged. Having a trailer would make it much easier to transport. It is great as a fishing platform for fishing creeks, flats and marshes. I have not had it open water like the bay.
                              I have one of these. The stability is ridiculous. I can stand on the bow/stern and it barely moves.
                              Native Slayer 12
                              Native Ultimate

Comment

Working...
                              X