high water at Annapolis launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high water at Annapolis launches

I went out about 1:30 this afternoon to take a look at two of the popular kayak launch spots in Annapolis. My first stop was the Tucker St launch into Weems Creek. Here are a few shots I took standing in the street in front of the ramp.

2021-10-29-003.jpg 2021-10-29-001.jpg 2021-10-29-005.jpg 2021-10-29-006.jpg

By comparison, here are photos of the previously highest water I have seen there, and also the lowest water I have seen there.

previous high water.jpg low water.jpg

After a quick drive through downtown Annapolis (no parking near the water, but the entire city dock area was underwater), I stopped at Jonas Green park. The lower parking lot was blocked off. I parked in the upper lot and took a photo showing the water on the grass and part of the lower lot. Then I walked out on the fishing pier and got a shot looking back at where the beach normally is.

2021-10-29-004.jpg 2021-10-29-002.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great pics! Yeah- that’s high. Cartop launch would work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe someone on this forum will be the first person to catch a pickerel on Tucker Street.

The next high tide in Annapolis is 1:06 a.m. tomorrow for those who want to get a jump on it!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I saw this picture
        - as if businesses need this after these crappy two years - feel so bad these people
        989AFEA0-6771-4B83-B1EF-5198E7360F35.jpg
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Wow! That's a lot of extra water.

Comment

I fished in two Severn tributaries this morning. The water was 1.5 to 2 feet higher than usual, but was surprising clear with minimal floating debris. Sadly the fish were not cooperative. In three hours of casting (3" Fat Sam mullet paddletail, 3" twistertail, Bignose spinner), I had only 3 bites -- two 11" perch and a 13" striper.

The wind-driven water piled up very high. This morning the tide tables called for incoming tide (i.e., water level should be rising). But the water level was dropping. The huge excess of accumulated sloshing back overrode the normal tidal flow. It was an excellent example of how winds (either direct or the aftermath of them) can supersede the tidal flows.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X