Lots of fish on sonar, only one on hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of fish on sonar, only one on hook

I was fishing at HH today and was seeing tons of fish on the fishfinder. I caught a nice one but could just as easily have come home empty handed. 1 is an accident, 2 becomes a pattern. So I've gotta learn to catch the fish that I see on the fishfinder.

These fish I was seeing on the fishfinder were usually in 40 ft of water just above the bottom. I'm pretty sure my 15' crank bait wasn't getting that deep and that's why I didn't catch them. I tried jigging with my heaviest jighead, but I think the current was too strong and it wasn't getting to the bottom either.

What would you have done?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

I was out there the other day marking fish deep in about 45 feet of water right by the #2 marker and had the same luck, then about 20 min later a 18 ft crestliner drifted over that same spot and started pulling up catfish after catfish up to about 30 inches so I am guessing that was what I was marking.

Comment

Those marks could be more carp
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have a hard time believing that Striper are sitting on the bottom in 40 fow right now. Probably was carp and cats. Next time bring some cutbait and heavy sinkers.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good point! It didn't even occur to me that there might be fish other than stripers, lol. So how can I tell if a fish on the fishfinder is likely to be a striper? Do they chill out higher in the water column?
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
            Good point! It didn't even occur to me that there might be fish other than stripers, lol. So how can I tell if a fish on the fishfinder is likely to be a striper? Do they chill out higher in the water column?
            catch it! lol

No real cut and dry answer just learn the patterns of different fish species...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
            X