Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison

I know this is a Fishing and Kayaking forum but I wanted to put something out there and I hope this is OK with everyone. I am unable to go hunting this year and asking any members that do go to keep me in mind. I will pay to have the deer processed if anyone manages to harvest an extra one, Please keep me in mind. I'd hate to see a tag go to waist. Feel free to call me if you do get a deer that you don't want to keep or don't have the room in your freezer for it. I normally use Ray Hitchcock in Harmans/Dorsey area to process, but I'm ok with whoever you use to process the deer. Doesn't matter if its a doe or buck, I'm almost out and won't be able to hunt this season. Call me at (443) 306-7306 if you can help with this. I'm also willing to split a deer with a hunter.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

A bit off topic, Tom. I had venison over 30 years ago in Hawaii. It was good. I liked the taste. I wonder how Maryland venison tastes. Is there a place where local deer meat could be purchased? How do you prepare it?

Is this the deer seen all around the area? (Found roaming on private/public property, dead on the roadside, feeding on people's gardens, etc.)
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Yes I know its a little off topic and I admitted that in the beginning of the thread. If yall want me to take it down I will... Yes its the same animal you see roaming all around the area. I prepare it a number of different ways. Its good meat. I eat alot of it ground. There is almost NO FAT in the ground. I mix it with regular ground beef to get the fat in it. I use it in spaggetti and make a killer Chili. The best part is the backstrap and tenderloin. I like the Roasts too and I put it in a crockpot like any other roast. I like to marinate with Apple Cidar and other marinades that take the gamey taste out of it. Its against Maryland law to sell venison in stores but if your lucky enough you can get a friend to get one for you if you don't hunt yourself. I cant hunt this year cause I'm having shoulder and pectoral muscle surgery on Wednesday, Thereby ending my hunting season. I seperated my Pectoral muscle from my sternum a few weeks ago.
      Hope I answered your questions.
      Tom
      Tom Brown
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Hey Tom,
        I was just wondering what kept you from hunting this year? The only reason I ask is because I have a 100 acres of easily accessible land. You could drive in and hunt it from a ground blind 100yards from your truck. If you're interested PM me. I'll give you a call or send you a PM about the processing offer. I haven't been hunting in a few years but I would go again if you were paying to have it processed. Also, I'm quite a bit south of you I think (Lorton/Alexandria, VA) and don't know any processors here by reputation but am open to suggestions.
        www.anglerswithoutborders.com
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I've never hunted deer, but I've eaten venison from Maryland quite a few times and usually like it. However, I am an avid waterfowl hunter and usually kill 30-40 geese per season. Surprisingly geese taste a lot like beef and I prepare them pretty much the same way that you prepare your deer. I grind the meat and make chili, spaghetti, stew, tacos... If you want any geese, let me know...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I've got a goose breast in the freezer now. Have you ever marinated goose breast in Italian Dressing? Try it sometime and slice it off like you would a piece of roast beef. Ive never had any luck duck or goose hunting but love goose breast. Sure, I'd love any you want to share. Moreover, I'd like to go sometime next season after my surgery. Never had goose ground though sounds like something I'm gonna try sometime. The only thing I don't like is Bear and rattlesnake. I won't eat any of the varmit type of game either like groundhog.Just not appealling to me. I spent my first 9 yrs of my life in Gastonia, NC and my family down there eats primarily off the land. They eat everything down there...LOL
            Remind me next season I may be interested in doing some waterfowl hunting if you have a spot open.
            Thanks,
            Tom
            Tom Brown
            2012 Hobie PA 14'
            Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

I don't believe it is permissible to sell venison in MD, so no you wont be able to find it for sale.

Yes, the deer you see everywhere are the same ones to eat.

Venison can be very good, but on the other hand if prepared poorly it can be very bad. The first lesson is that its not beef and shouldn't be treated as such. This is where most people go wrong. They try to prepare it just like beef and are dissatisfied when it turns out gamey or tough.

Venison doesn't have the natural fat marbling that a grain fed beef does. So, you either have to cook it very hot and fast, or very slow and wet.

If you are interested I have an excellent recipe for venison casserole, a venison pumpkin curry that is very good, a drunken venison chop and others. You can also use the burger for chili or tacos as mentioned above. Hamburgers are a little tougher to get to turn out right because venison is so lean. Some people add some beef fat to their burger to raise the fat content.

I don't get to go out hunting much myself, especially this year because I'm taking 6 college courses. The bag limit for all three seasons; gun, muzzleloader and archery is around 36 to 40 deer. And they are out there. I actually enjoy the culinary side of it more than anything as you might be able to tell.

You might check over on MD shooters forum for someone who is trigger happy. Good luck and if you want any of those recipes shout I can post a link and the tricks I have found.

Comment

JoeMac, Sure, feel free to IM me the Recipe. I may already have it but I'm always looking to try something different with Venison.
                Hoping that I get some this year. Another member here offered to get a dear for me and I'm just waiting for that. I got some goose breast yesterday, Can't waite to eat that. I marinate it in Italian Dressing and it taste just like Roast Beef.
                Tom Brown
                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Working...
                X