Spearfishing off a Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spearfishing off a Yak

Am thinking about doing this for next year. Anyone out there do this?

Where do you spearfish?
    Do you do it off a yak?
    Is it more productive than pole fishing?
    Pros and cons?
    How much will it cost to get started?
    What basic equipment do I need?
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I'd be interested in doing this too. I've done it in much clearer water and can't imagine that the bay's 18" of visibility would make it too much fun. When I've done it previously all I had were fins and a snorkel. It's one hell of a workout and really gets you comfortable being in the water. I know that people do it quite a bit in NC at the Triangle Wrecks and have heard of some in Ocean City Delaware. I have a JBL Carbine and is ok to start off with but if I get serious about it I definitely want a better gun. If you find out any more let me know and count me in!!
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I'm a Fire Dept. Diver and teh Key to successful Spearfishing is VISABILITY. I can tell you that the Chesapeake Bay doesn't have that. I'd be interested if there were someplace like a freshwater quarry, and there are several in the tri-state area, that it could be a fun outing. The other issue is finding inexpensive spear fishing gear. I'm sure there is a website somewhere that has an inexpensive begginner setup.
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Make sure you keep some energy in reserve swimming after all those fish. Trying to re-enter your kayak while exhausted might become an issue.

My biggest fear would be an anchor failure while spearing and returning to the surface to find your kayak drifting a 1/4 mile away.

That and winding up in a strong current and trying to fight it back to the Kayak. If you go make sure you have a partner with you.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
          teh Key to successful Spearfishing is VISABILITY. I can tell you that the Chesapeake Bay doesn't have that.
          I agree with you for summertime conditions. However, back in the 1970s, when I still did some SCUBA diving, I made several oyster dives in winter, plus one really fun archaeological dive on the old Civil War prisoner of war camp off of Pt Lookout park. The visibility in winter can be 10-15 ft. I don't think a lot of typical prey fish are around at that time of year, however. With the cold water temperatures, a full wet suit or dry suit is necessary.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
            Make sure you keep some energy in reserve swimming after all those fish. Trying to re-enter your kayak while exhausted might become an issue.

My biggest fear would be an anchor failure while spearing and returning to the surface to find your kayak drifting a 1/4 mile away.

That and winding up in a strong current and trying to fight it back to the Kayak. If you go make sure you have a partner with you.
            +1

Comment

Working...
            X