Fishing Sunglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Sunglasses

I lost my Gargoyles Diffuser sunglasses a couple of weeks ago. They had a good run of a couple years, and they fit comfortably and helped me to spot fish in the water sometimes.

However, now I'm in the market for a new pair of fishing sunglasses. What does everyone else wear?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Costa Fantail 580 Blue Mirrored lens

Would rate a 100/100. Used to have oakleys an will never go back now that I went ahead and spent the money on a high quality pair of shades.

Comment

I have 2 pair of costas the Swordfish with the CR-39 Gray lense, everyday glasses and work ok for fishing, and my Fisch with the 580 Mirror Green lense, these are my day out on the water fishing galsses. The Fisch frames feature no-slip Hydrolite™ lining and our signature three-hole venting system on the front to keep things cool even when things heat up.
      Last edited by OBX_RAT; 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM. Reason: too short
      '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
      '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
      Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Costa. The Maya frames with the Green mirror 580G polarized lenses. They are pricey, bass Pro has them for about $230 after tax, but they have been the nicest pair of glasses I have ever owned. I only buy top of the line sunglasses(Electric, Spy, Dragon, Anarchy, Oakley, Maui Jim) and these are the best!
        12' Kingfish
        21' 1996 Sea-Pro 210WA "Perry's Pride"
        Blackfin Outlaw Anglers

Comment

Not to hi-jack your post but i need to pick up some SG's for me and my GF but Im a cheapo when it comes to SG's. I loose them or sit on them way to much to spend alot.

So could someone recomend some reasonable priced SG's that are decent??
          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Electrics are super nice for around 60-80 bucks
            12' Kingfish
            21' 1996 Sea-Pro 210WA "Perry's Pride"
            Blackfin Outlaw Anglers

Comment

I usually stray away from expensive glasses, but thanks to a groupon, I picked up a pair of Maui Jims earlier this year. They are pretty good (when I remember to bring/wear them)
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I like Maui Jim's too and you can find them at Costco's sometimes. I picked up one for $100 when it was normally $300.

Comment

I have two pairs of Costa Deep Blues with polarized glass lenses (not the costly 580, but great nonetheless). I always wear the glasses on a neck strap so they are unlikely to get lost or broken.

Sunlight and UV rays take their toll on eyes. You may not notice it when you are young, but by middle age, eyes that have not been well protected will most likely have some issues. This is particularly important for those of us who spend many hours on the water, where we get direct sunlight plus light reflected off the water. They also help against wind effects.

As an aside, don't clean good sunglasses by running them through your dishwasher. Years ago, I did that with an inexpensive set of Flying Fisherman polarized glass sunglasses. The harsh detergent ate away at one of the coating layers.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks like the jury is in on Costas and Maui Jims. I was actually thinking Oakley before I posted this, but I will look at what you all have recommended...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The oakleys have a plastic lens, I had polarized oakleys but the salt water coroded the lens and now they are no good.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                        The oakleys have a plastic lens, I had polarized oakleys but the salt water coroded the lens and now they are no good.
                        That's interesting, Matt. I wonder why that is? My old pair of Costas with plastic lenses have held up really well for 12 years now, but the frames are starting to give up the ghost. I'm still deciding on what to replace them with.

I had been looking at Oakleys, too, but might have to reconsider based on what you've said. I really thought they had better clarity than other brands I've been looking at. Another problem is that Oakley etches "POLARIZED" into the lenses. I really hate big logos and stuff like that, and what's worse is that I see the etching in my peripheral vision. What were they thinking?
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                        X