Suspending Twitchbait, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspending Twitchbait, etc

I've been hearing a lot about Mirrolures being used to catch specks, so I went to the Mirrorlure web site.

Am not sure what the difference is between suspending twitchbait, floating twitchbait and surface walker.

I think FTs have propellers, and the other don't. I think all of them run on the surface, right? What's the difference between suspending and floating? Isn't floating the same as surface? Doesn't a twitchbait "walk" over the water?

Sheesh
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Originally posted by tufnik View Post

Am not sure what the difference is between suspending twitchbait, floating twitchbait and surface walker.

I think FTs have propellers, and the other don't. I think all of them run on the surface, right? What's the difference between suspending and floating? Isn't floating the same as surface? Doesn't a twitchbait "walk" over the water?

Sheesh
    I am not an experienced hard plastic lure fisherman. However, it seems to me in a generic sense that a floating lure will remain at or very near the surface during the retrieve. A suspended lure will operate at some depth below the surface. The actual depth can be determined to some extent by the size of the lip and the speed of the retrieve. I am guessing that a surface walker is a lure that meanders back and forth on the retrieve, like the Zara Spook.

Feel free to correct me if I got that wrong.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you are looking at the mirrolure line, then your topwater lures are going to be like the Top Dog. This one has a walk the dog action much like the Zara Spool. The lure floats, and twitches of the rod tip make the lure dart side to side like a wounded baitfish. They make a surface commotion, which pulls predators to the surface.

The suspending bait like the mirrodine will sink below the surface but has a neutral buoyancy at a certain depth, allowing it to hang weightlessly mid water column. This allows you to give the lure a slow, wounded baitfish twitch in the predator's more natural strike zone.

A sinking twitchbait would sink, obviously, and would require more angler effort to keep it at the desired depth. Can be fished deeper, too. I can't think of a sinking mirrolure off the top of my head. She dog, maybe? can't remember. Anyway, sinking twitchbaits will need more action and a faster retrieve to keep them in the zone, making aggressively feeding fish want to eat them.

My 2 cents, at least. Check out the mirrolure website for how and where to fish their products.
      Last edited by jsquare; 11-27-2011, 12:56 AM. Reason: Holy late nite spelling errors...please excuse them.

Comment

Working...
      X