Finally finished my PVC rod holder "tree"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally finished my PVC rod holder "tree"

I've had it together for a few weeks now, but today I finally sanded and spray painted the rod holder "tree."

I decided to include bungee straps on the rodholder to act as leashs We'll see how I like them when I'm actually out on the water...

I also decided to paint my crate for my sit in kayak

Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Nice, I like the rod leashes... I've been planning to add them to mine as well as the tie down to kayak, but haven't decided how I exactly want to do it.

Comment

I have two different types of bungees on the holder. On the inside tubes I used some thinner bungee cord that I salvaged off of something else. On the outside tubes I have thicker cord that I actually bought from ACK along with the various ends and other bungee cord parts. Im thinking that I might switch to using the thinner cord on the out side tubes too. The thicker cord may prove to be a little bit harder to work with when Im trolling and then ing to pull the rod out with a fish on it.

I think I may also add something to the holder to hold a tackle box...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Looks good Shady, nice job. The bungees are also a good idea. I do something similar with mine, but I have a single strap that secures three to my crate. These are the ones I'm not using, but I have a hard time unhooking them because they are on the back of the yak. Your idea looks better and I may steal it

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Couple of other things that you cant really tell from the pics. I have the trolling tubes pointing slightly forward so I can see them out of the corner of my eye while peddling. I also cut notches in the tubes with a jigsaw for the reel to seat down in similar to a normal rod holder.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I like your rod holder design. What diameter is the pipe? Does it fit nicely into the yak rod holes? Since the yak rod holder hole is angled, does your design slip into both holes OK? How did you get the holder pipes angled correctly so it fits into the yak holes?

Hmmm....I wonder how a similar design would work in the front yak rod holes?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              I like your rod holder design. What diameter is the pipe? Does it fit nicely into the yak rod holes? Since the yak rod holder hole is angled, does your design slip into both holes OK? How did you get the holder pipes angled correctly so it fits into the yak holes?

Hmmm....I wonder how a similar design would work in the front yak rod holes?
              I used 1 1/4" PVC. This size pipe fits almost perfectly in the hobie rod holders. As far as the hobie's rod holders being angled, I have it glued so the pipes that go into these are at a slight angle. Because of the angle you have to slightly pull the pipes apart to slide them into the hobie's rod holders, but once you get it lined up, it fits good. In order to get the correct angles, I put everything together on the yak before glueing anything. Once everything was together on the yak, I used a pencil to make marks at all of the connections. I drew a line from the joint connector to the actual pipe, this way when you glue everything together just line up the marks and everything will be at the right angle.

As far as putting something like this on the front holders, I'm sure it would work, but you would have to change the design a bit to be out of your way for peddling.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work. PVC, FTW!!! What kinda paint did you use? I used Krylon fusion for my propstick.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Very Nice.

Very nice setup. Looks like it would be great for trolling. This winter I'm going to look into some sort of bungee leash for my rods. I can see how the thinner bungee would be easier to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                    Nice work. PVC, FTW!!! What kinda paint did you use? I used Krylon fusion for my propstick.
                    I used valspar plastic spray paint, on the can it says that its good for rigid plastic. Hopefully it doesnt scratch off to easily...
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the good info. I am copying some of your design to finish rigging on my Revo.

joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Very nice. Cool STB sticker
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                        X