Pedaling a Hobie with waders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedaling a Hobie with waders

I just got some waders... Simms headwaters Stockingfoots... they're nice and all, but they seems kinda bulky and stiff for effective pedaling of a mirage drive. Anybody have experience pedaling with waders? Any problems?

And also, related question... how about pedaling around the concrete ships... best to have the paddle out to back up and push back, huh?
    Last edited by chex; 11-30-2011, 07:56 PM. Reason: added yet another question
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

A lot of us use the lightweight breathable waders and just layer up underneath the waders for warmth. I wear under armour cold gear leggings then under armour sweat pants under my breathable waders.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The breathable waders are waterproof?

(already got me some of that underarmor cold gear... great stuff!)
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry, stupid question... what's the point of waders if they're not waterproof.... I usually wear waterproof hiking pants... same things without the feet?
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

i bought a pair of breathable waders at BP, they were around $80. work great on the hobie.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Like these? : http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...t/98057/129859
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
              Yup, those are the ones. Like shady said, you can layer underneath to fit the day. I have no issue pedaling with them. I'd make sure they fit well and aren't too tight...otherwise, you may tear out the seat in 'em after lots of pedaling

I also wear a light jacket made by Frogg Toggs....same deal, layer underneath. I only wear it when it starts getting cold enough that the spray will bother me.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

No problems at all with my Hodgman Weir chest (with neoprene stockingfoot) zippered waders on my Hobie. I like wearing them, very comfortable. Waterproof, breathable, front zipper, durable, etc. I would definitely buy the same waders again. Gotta get waders with a front zipper. Waders are not the problem. Biggest problem is keeping hands warm.
                Last edited by tufnik; 11-30-2011, 09:30 PM.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

How do you pee when you're wearing waders out int eh middle of the bay?
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                    How do you pee when you're wearing waders out int eh middle of the bay?
                    That's when the zipper comes in handy. You've got a Hobie--just aim for the drive well. Then, pedal a few times to flush. Nobody will ever borrow one of my yaks after hearing that... A big Gatorade bottle would work, too.

Waist-high waders will work in a pinch, too, but it can be tough to get a good seal with your top again when seated. I've used waist-highs and waders with a zipper, and I eventually decided to cough up the cash for a drysuit. Aside from the expense, it makes everything simpler, which is worth the cost if you fish a lot in the winter.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

On October 22, last year, at CBBT (The first Island), I got turtled when I was peeing. I was wearing a waist-high wader, and a d*** A** boater passed by me. Just guess what it feels like when you have a full of water inside of wader and you try to flip the kayak and get back on the kayak. I had my PFD straps loosened to pull down the wader. The first thing I learned was that I had to pull the wader up and buckle. Then I tightened my PFD straps. I located my helmet with camera that was floating. Once I flipped the kayak back and pulled myself up on the kayak, I fetched few stuff floating around kayak. Then I put my feet up, laying on my back, unbuckled the belt and drained the water out.
                      I believed that I lost my truck key that time. I was cold for 5 hours until the new truck key was made by a lock smith.
                      Lesson I learned: I will not pee when wearing wader while sitting on a kayak. I will beach the kayak or standing in the shallow water for that. Now I carry a spare key outside truck. I also carry extra cloths

Joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

In relation to Joe's comment. In the summer or warmer months when I dont wear waders on the yak, I have a big cup of coffee on the way to launch to get me going. In the winter and fall when waders are required, I do not drink coffee before kayaking. It is important to keep hydrated while on the yak, but at the same time I try not to drink as much when wearing waders because having to pee while on the yak in waders is not an easy situation to deal with. My waders do not have a zipper and they are the kind that have over the shoulder straps. I bring a cut off powerade bottle everytime I go out to use as my toilet. I think this is easier to use then trying to aim for the drivewell or lean over the side.
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

........ no need to take them down ......... just fill the left leg then the right ........ warms up the legs ........ when it starts getting cool just go again ......... coffee actually helps ......
                          Salty Dawg ......... beverage of Yakers .......

Comment

I have some waist waders that I wear, actually same kind from bass pro I'm pretty sure. My dry top has an inner and outer layer so I am still water tight but it is much easier to pee. However, peeing is still hard on rough days so I try not to drink too much.
                            Used to fish more.

Comment

chexone,
                              When Fishing the piling - Keep the pedal in place.

Also,
                              There is another thing you need to know when wearing a wader on a Hobie.

Some pants can be bunched up in the wrong place. That can hurt you badly. No Kidding.

When you wear the wader first time, stay close to the launch site. Kipto is good but not CBBT ( First island) for the reason. Once you have the comfortable set of cloths, you may pedal far out.

Soon you will learn what to wear and what not to wear. To me cotton under pants regardless types is definitely NO. I wear regular Gym shorts (the smallest one I have) made of artificial fiber (nylon). And I make sure that the sweat pants won’t come up and bunched up while pedaling if I wear sweat pants.

Joe
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X