Article on Yak Engines ...... great comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Yak Engines ...... great comparisons

...... in Kayak Fishing Magazine ..........

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/...pth-look-.html

Gotta love the Torqeedo ..........

I saw that. It is a good one. Kind of convinced me to go with the Torqeedo, when I get a Hobie PA.

Comment

Yeah ........... When I REALLY took a close look at them (Torqeedo) and started adding the costs and the benefits, it was really not much more than the others and the advantages are many ......... for example, the weight .... 15 lbs compared to 100 (with large battery), with the side mount and battery I couldn't use my Hobie baitwell, I can with this, tells me when the battery is getting low, remote control, faster speed, greater distance, easy install and with the second battery I can go anywhere ......... lookout CBBT Cobia next year ...........

Comment

Yeah, I saw that too. Good comparison. I had an electric (Minn Kota) Trident. It was just fine, but now I use my Hobie.

Hmmm..... no 50# battery to haul or maintain anymore, I get instant thrust with my legs, I don't run of energy (well, I do tire some but I can fish CBBT with no problem), I do get good exercise, and I do have a more reliable power system. Can't quite say I want to go back to electric right now, but who knows.....
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Great read indeed. Good to see this type of review from someone with first-hand experience with the three main options. He is pretty much spot on with what he says about the Torque. I have a Marinco trolling motor plug sitting here waiting for me to install to replace the stock unit. Can't wait till my lithium battery components arrive so I can ditch the heavy AGM...
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Yeah, I saw that too. Good comparison. I had an electric (Minn Kota) Trident. It was just fine, but now I use my Hobie.

Hmmm..... no 50# battery to haul or maintain anymore, I get instant thrust with my legs, I don't run of energy (well, I do tire some but I can fish CBBT with no problem), I do get good exercise, and I do have a more reliable power system. Can't quite say I want to go back to electric right now, but who knows.....
            Well ........ I will definitely use the mirage drive and get some excercise but this is a safety thing for me .......... fat, out of shape 60 yr olds can get into trouble real fast at CBBT when fighting wind, waves and tide .........

Comment

Ohh........I wouldn't call you fat. Pleasantly plump?

Not if, but when I go back to electrics I'll certainly look hard at the torqueedo. Thanks to you and others for bringing up the real benefits, even though the system cost over two grand.

Comment

Ohh........I wouldn't call you fat. Pleasantly plump?

Not if, but when I go back to electrics I'll certainly look hard at the torqueedo. Thanks to you and others for bringing up the real benefits, even though the system cost over two grand.
                Yep ........ had those 6 pack abs ........ but I worked REAL hard and got the whole dam barrell ......

Not over 2 grand for the Torqeedo ......... $1799 ......... and Hook1 gives you a 10% discount so it's about $1600 ........ the 403 battery gives you 40% more power so you shouldn't need the second battery like I got. For me, I want to be fishing at the first Island fishing in 25 minutes and still have enough battery to get back at the fastest speed ........ everyone I've talked too said I didn't need the second battery but I want 1 .......

Comment

I thought the battery at $600 was a separate buy. It comes with the motor.

Can the Torqeedo battery (24v) be stepped down to power a Minn Kota motor (12v)?

How about stepping up an AGM to power a torqeedo?

Will your torqeedo be installed in the drive well or on the stern?
                  Last edited by tufnik; 12-02-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I thought the battery at $600 was a separate buy. It comes with the motor.

Can the Torqeedo battery (24v) be stepped down to power a Minn Kota motor (12v)?

How about stepping up an AGM to power a torqeedo?

Will your torqeedo be installed in the drive well or on the stern?

Nope ....... the price includes the motor, battery, mount, controller, battery charger ......... total integrated package .......

It's not 24 volt ...... it's 29.6V ........ This is a highly engineered system that offers you a ton of advantages because they all work together ......

One of the advantages is the weight ........ 6 lbs and more powerful than a 60 lb+ AGM/lead core battery ....... and it has a battery controller and gps built in .......

I'm installing it in the back ......... the drive well install takes away the ability to use the Mirage drive while under power. This adds speed and power when you need it ......... the mirage drive can also serve as a small centerboard in rough water ......... also I'd be afraid of destroying it and the yak if I ran aground ....... already did that on some hidden sandbars ........ if it's on the back it would just kick up ..........

Comment

I was amazed at the difference between the Mirage drive vs. paddling in effort and speed- I could fish places I never thought about when paddling-even still, I could understand someone putting the light weight Torquedo unit on the rudder assembly to take advantage of added distance and improved safety when the currents and winds are working against you- the unit cost about as much as the Hobie, so a Hobie equipped with a Torquedo is a pretty pricey yak- but highly capable of long distance kayak fishing-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        I was amazed at the difference between the Mirage drive vs. paddling in effort and speed- I could fish places I never thought about when paddling-even still, I could understand someone putting the light weight Torquedo unit on the rudder assembly to take advantage of added distance and improved safety when the currents and winds are working against you- the unit cost about as much as the Hobie, so a Hobie equipped with a Torquedo is a pretty pricey yak- but highly capable of long distance kayak fishing-
                        ....... pricey for a Yak .......... but not in comparison with a boat ........ with everything it's still not as expensive as a boat ...... with the Torqeedo, I have a first class fishing machine that I can go more places, fish closer to cover, and catch more fish than the gas guys ....... for less money ....... and fish pilings that you guys can't even get to ..... that have never seen a yak ....

....... and looking for the Reds in the shallows .......... and getting to the tarpon ......... etc etc etc ......

At least until you guys start getting Torqeedo's

Comment

I think my favorite quote (and my new signature) is

We’re all individuals with different needs. No system is perfect for everyone just as there isn’t a perfect fishing kayak.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                            I think my favorite quote (and my new signature) is
                            I totally agree

Comment

Working...
                            X