Perfect Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Kayak

We’re all individuals with different needs. No system is perfect for everyone just as there isn’t a perfect fishing kayak. ........ Metroman

He has a great point ...... What's your perfect kayak?

My perfect yak would be...

A Revo with a seat that's ~4" wider with 2" more leg room and the built in front rod holders like the Outback.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

A Revo like Bill said but with a larger rear tankwell

Comment

What bill said and raise the seat or add some extra capacity so I'm not sitting in water all day and I'd be set. Oh and bulletproof sides and a rod pod.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

I think I'm set- my perfect yak is my ugly ass, puke-green 2010 Outback- maybe I don't know enough to know better, but for me at 250 lbs. with what I carry and the way I fish- I can't think of anything my Outback needs or any changes I would make- plenty roomy. carries enough gear, seat is wide enough, fast enough, short enough to maneuver (especially with the sail rudder), sea worthy, a tough tank of a yak...what's not to like?
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

An Outback that has reverse.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

My Cobra F n D would be perfect ..... if I could hang a 5 HP honda on the back. Maybe then I could keep up with all the peddlers

Comment

I just wish I had one that launched itself! (preferrabley 14ft long)
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

......... wide enough for my big ass, stable enough to stand, multiple methods of powering it, tons of storage space, able to change configurations quickly for different types of fishing ......... comfortable seat

Comment

Just needs peddles! :-)

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2011/11...h-promo-video/

Comment

Wow, what a well thought out boat. They are going to sell a lot of those!
                      Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                        ......... wide enough for my big ass, stable enough to stand, multiple methods of powering it, tons of storage space, able to change configurations quickly for different types of fishing ......... comfortable seat
                        You don't want a kayak, you just described a small skiff with outboard motor (something like my Scout 162 Sportfish with 70-hp Yamaha on the rear and a 55-lb thrust Minnkota on the bow).

That brings up an interesting thought -- at what point is a kayak so heavily accessorized that it costs the same as a small power boat and requires a trailer to haul it?

I am not trying to pass judgement -- I have a small power boat and two kayaks -- the best of both worlds.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

To each his own, I say- If you want to do it- do it- customize, accessorize, modify- life is short; might as well go for the gusto-

I added a flush mount Scotty rod holder ahead of my left front factory rod holder on my Outback- then had a Rube Goldberg set of extensions to put the rod high above the peddles and within reach- I like my rods in front of me trolling
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I don't have a kayak, just a 16' Oldtown canoe. I highly value a quick set-up time. I've pared my equipment down to a minimum. I got it down so that once I step out of the car at boat ramp, I can have the canoe off and ully set up in 10-12 minutes to include a trolling motor and 2 heavy batteries and all fishing gear and equipment.

What I don't like about the canoe is it's vulnerability to wind. I really gotta pick my days carefully to avoid wind over 10mph... or else pick a very protected area to fish... I hate wind with a passion.
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Give me my lithium ion battery to shave 33lbs...and if I could lose 25lbs of body weight.

A weight saving of 58lbs would be awesome, and would reduce the amount of residual water that accompanies me in the footwells...
                              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                              X