want to see a 200.00 rockfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to see a 200.00 rockfish?

went to matapeake on sat. at 0530 only 1 guy fishing and he wasnt getting any bites around 7 grady black calls and said he was going to try spsp and would let me know if any thing was happening. no luck by 0830 and bored so i packed up and went to spsp to fish with GB still slow and not much of a tide moving in but was warming up nicely.at 0945 i get a hit and reel in a 15" shorty and sent him back. then around 1000 i get another hit and grabbed the rod and it felt a lot heaver and some drag was being pulled, a nice fat 22" keeper. by 11 GB was getting ready to go and his rod goes off but only a shorty but not skunked.

after that we loaded up and left. went home and trimmed some branches off a tree in my yard and fillet the rock and was going to take some pix. whiile cooking it, GB had taken a pix. with my cell phone and i was going to use it. couldnt find it. called it not in truck or house, crap went to spsp and looked around for it but gone asked rangers if any one turned it in, no, crap only a year into contract so no discount and didnt insure it so 200 bucks later a new cell phone with no numbers thanks for the numbers guys! insure your cells and back up your #s i didnt know there was a site for that, do now

pix of probably my last rock off the year:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by surfdog; 12-06-2011, 07:32 PM.

Is that a pic of the back of the 22"?

Good thing it wasn't a small perch. Otherwise the cost per pound would be much higher.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

congrats on the fish n sorry to hear about the phone. i lost a lot of gear this year too. i think my new years resolution will be to get this under control. now, just figure out how,..

Comment

Well, $200 for a nice dinner isn't unheard of. You usually don't have to cook it yourself, though.

I haven't lost much this year, but my tackle expenditures have gone up. I think the amount I spend on new stuff is negatively related to the amount of time I fish. The less time I spend fishing, the more money I spend on lures as I read the other guys' reports and see what they caught fish with.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
          I haven't lost much this year, but my tackle expenditures have gone up. I think the amount I spend on new stuff is negatively related to the amount of time I fish. The less time I spend fishing, the more money I spend on lures as I read the other guys' reports and see what they caught fish with.
          I agree with you 100%. The bad thing is when I do get out, I usually don’t catch any keepers.
          2012 Hobie Revo 13'
          2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            The less time I spend fishing, the more money I spend on lures
            Haha, that makes total sense. If you're not the fisherman, you're the one being caught by the lure companies.

Surfdog, nice fish... too bad it was so expensive. At first I thought i was going to see a picture of a 200Lb rockfish... but 22" is good eating size. Nice going.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

that was it first thig i lost this year except a stringer, didnt think i needed to put a leash on my phone while on land

Comment

Interesting filet method...
                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

just a regular filet with rib cage removed, i like to leave the skin on i think it adds flavor and keeps the filet form drying out. peels off easy enough

Comment

Working...
                  X