Questions from a Newbie on Kent Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from a Newbie on Kent Island

I've just gotten into Kayak Fishing this year, and am a Carolina Lowcountry boy living on Kent Island. So naturally, I'm more into fishing for Specs, Flounder, and Reds than I am Rockfish. I did some fishing for Specs around Janes Island in September, and had a blast. I've heard a lot about the spring Flounder fishing around Chiconteague and was wondering if anybody could fill me in on some of the logistics like best places to park & launch, and also any other spots on either the Chesapeake Bay Side or Atlantic side that are easy to access? Any places to put in that are more convenient than the boat landings?
    I've just been lurking on this forum, and the Tidal Fishing Forum and see that there are a lot of resources and Kayak Fisherman in the region, so I look forward to gaining some knowledge from anyone who is willing to help!

Thanks, Troy

Hey welcome! I'm afraid i'm inexperienced so I can't help you, but at least this'll bump your thread back to the top.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I was planning a fall flounder trip at Chiconteague but I ran out of time. My understanding is that late April early May is the prime time for flounder on Eastern Shore. Call the local bait and tackle shops/marina operators and talk to the local folks about launch sites and where to fish- 99% of the time they will give you the best intel you can get-or take a local flounder fishing charter and learn from the captain where he goes, what rigs he uses, what baits, etc. a smart phone with a GPS app can give you exact locations, hot spots etc.
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Flounder-
        Maryland
        Ocean City Inlet - Fish the east channel, jetty on assateague side or around the rt. 50 bridge. launch at the commercial boat launch or the little beach you see on the right/western shore when crossing the rt. 50 bridge.

Deleware
        Roosevelt Inlet - Boat ramp right by the inlet you can fish the north jetty and it has a lot of structure with underwater pipe/rocks

Cape Henlopen State Park- never fished there myself but some of the MKF guys have had good success there.

Comment

in chincoteague there is a nice ramp and the state park has access to chic.bay. in the spring sand flats that warm up in the afternoon is the place for flounder

Comment

Tmno8,

Hit me up in the spring. I am located on the the Island too.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will certainly make contact with you, Alpha, in the spring - I'm really excited about fishing again; being able to throw the kayak in the truck and go makes it a lot more viable to trek to the Lower Shore or the barrier islands to fish.

I just bought my first fishing kayak, on Black Friday. After borrowing some friends kayaks and just rigging them to fish out of, I did my research and decided the most bang for the buck, and most comfortable thing I could find was the 13' Perception Angler Kayak. I waited until Black Friday so that I could get 30% off at LL Bean.

I admit, the thought really never crossed my mind until I started to notice some of you guys around the Bay Bridge on my daily commute home from the western shore. When I started looking into it, some of the pictures, websites, and shows I've seen (Kayak Fishing TV on OLN) just look complete NUTS, when it comes to pulling 50 pound Tarpon over your lap fishing in shark infested waters. I read in Kayak Angler Magazine about fishing for Reds on the North End of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on the Shoals with white caps and high waves and find that only mildly nuts, and probably worth a shot .

Thanks again for all of the input

Comment

you have some good sane fishing at your back door, kent narrows romancoke, matapeake and g dock at hemmingways marina to get to the bridge these spots are good spring, summer and fall

Comment

Working...
                X