Kayak recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak recommendations

I want to do some bay fishing this year, but don't want to go crazy with new gear. I was considering a SOT for chasing some stipers and blues once in a while since I am not real close to the bay.

I have sit ins and a Commander for chasing fish on the Potomac. I figured the Commander is only going to be good for back areas and light to no wind days. Even considered making long front and back splash covers and taking a pump. Anyone using one on the bay. I figured Rogue power boaters are always a swamping threat. How about suggestions on the Commander or maybe SOT's. I like the Tarpon.

Where do you all put fish on a SOT? I mean I could put a huge Stipper right up bwteen my legs in the bow of my Commander. What are you guys doing?
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

I use a insulated shopping bag with a zipper- a few pounds of ice keep the fish fresh all day-
    As far as choices in kayaks- be prepared to get crazy- once bitten by the bug most jump on board with both feet- like fishing gear- buy the very best you can afford, because the upgrades are expensive-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Most start with a good sit on top and paddle ............. then they see how much easier it is to fish when you peddle and they go for a Hobie .........

I started w/a Wilderness Ride 135 that I have yet to paddle and then went straight to a Hobie PA.

You have to evaluate what is important to you ie speed vs stability etc and buy based on that ......... or you will do like Pinch and go thru several yaks in 1 year to find what you want .......

Comment

Nope, I am not buying a Hobie. I would get a saltwater trolling motor and hack it into a bassyak drive first. I am not planning on traveling real far. I should have stated I am not going to use it much in the thread opener as I live in the mountains. A Hobie drive would get shredded out here on the rocks in the Upper Potomac and I would like to use it out here too. That is why I asked what I can do with my Commander. Or if I plan to venture maybe get a T120 or and OK Prowler 13 or something similar and looking for suggestions similar to that.

I am 83 miles from BWI and I am not going to be down there every week. Maybe a couple times a year and just want to chase stripers once in a while.

I would like suggestions like.
        This SOT is best (in your opinion)
        The Commander will work, but only here, or like this
        The Commander is a bad idea period.
        You got stone bigger than me if you take a Commander on the bay

Your hobie suggestion might be fine for you. I find it crazy how some kayak anglers buy a small boat and need to outfit it, cost wise, like I should have bought a used SeaRay. If I spend 2K on a boat, I should use gas, IMO, no offense.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

i went from sink to sot. my sink is more like a canoe than kayak in many ways, and can do a lot. i didn't mind crossing a wake. loose hips lets it roll right by. i think it's large wind chop that poses a bigger hazard. less of that in rivers, but open bay is different story.

i don't have suggestions for other sot because i went straight from sink to hobie after watching another one of the guys fish using both hands when i could barely set my paddle down due to fast-running current.

not to suggest paddle isn't a good solution. a thread on here indicated most cbbt regulars used paddles. if you're not sold it being your main hobby, etc, i think inexpensive entry is a fine idea. good luck.

Comment

Well that's you opinion ........... funny how may people say things like that and end up in a Hobie the following year ........ then fully outfit them ...... in fact there are quite a few here that have at least a couple grand in there rides .........

for a Kayak for the bay ........ you should probably take advantage of the sales at Dick's sporting goods ....... they have some inexpensive SOT yaks .......... I think West Marine may have some on sale too ......... for the bay I'd suggest a 12' minimum.

As far as fish, I have a very large well in the front of the PA that holds the fish really nice.

Comment

Sigh, I do not wish to get dragging in the pit of what I should do if I am in the bay twice a week. I would like to state this again. I will use this yak, in the bay, 2 or 3 times a year. Not once or twice a week like most of you. I would like to use my Commander, BUT I am ready to be talked out of it as a bad idea. I think my Commander is top dog on the upper Potomac, but I know it is not even close to the best for a wind chop. I would like to stay with it, but I realize its limitations. I have had my 17' old town discovery 169 on the South River before and know about taking boat a wake and turning into them with my commander

Now, I want to use the same kayak out here also, not just in the bay. Any of you been on the upper Potomac? There are rock ridges sticking up out of the water that sound like fingers on a chalk board on the bottom of your kayak as they slide down it. I really fear for having a drive unit below the hull. My buddy got a deal on a NW propel and would not buy it as he knew he would probably break it out here. I have already flamed sections of the bottom of my Commander that I just bought in May due to the gouges made on it from said ridges in the water. The rocks are rough out here.

So, ... (pause for effect and stepping off the soap box) if I buy a yak to chase stripers, I would like it to be dual purpose, since most of my time would be spent in it out here with my Daughter or Wife on it. Hence the thoughts on getting a T120 or and OK P13.

My main hobby is fishing in the Upper Potomac and I have the proper kayak for it. I am looking for suggestions on a kayak I can use 2 or 3 times a year in the bay and my family can use out here when they tag a long with me.

So now, Can you fish anywhere in the Chesapeake watershed 2 or 3 times a year with something other than a Hobie? seems not?

Comment

A tarpon 120 is a fine dual purpose salt/fresh water yak- same for the OK Prowler series- I love the sea worthiness of my OK Prowler- it is an excellent rough water boat- stable and tracks well- fast to paddle-

If I had your circumstances I would definitely look into a Jackson Coosa- a real purpose designed river boat that you can use occasionally in salt-but I don't so I have what I have for the fishing I mostly do- not what I do once or twice a year-
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Ron for your advice. although I think a Coosa would track too poorly on the bay and open winds even though it is a excellent river boat. I am thinking T120 or OK p13, but still thinking and looking for other input.

Comment

I like my Tarpon 120, and it's fine for fishing in the Bay. It tracks straight and is seaworthy. They were one of the first SOTs to be favored for fishing, and Wilderness hasn't changed them much. I wish they hadn't redesigned the bow, but that's another story. I can paddle it at 3.5-4mph in the reservoir where I fish with my father. I haven't taken it out in the Bay in a while. The good thing about them is that they often show up on craigslist for a good price. In fact, I saw one for $525 somewhere recently, but I can't remember where.

I chose the Tarpon 120 over other yaks for fishing smallmouth creeks because it was a good balance of light weight and durability. Ocean Kayaks used to be slightly thinner and would wear out around the scuppers after dragging over rocks according to what I read on riversmallies.com. I don't know if that's still the case. I paddled and almost bought a Prowler 15 when I first started out, and I probably would've bought it if I had a place to store it. The 13 footer seems like a really nice boat, and I like the rod pods on the Trident series. If I ever get a longer paddle boat, it'll probably be 13ft or 15ft Trident.

As for keeping fish, I use a California Innovations Thermal Tote, which I don't think they make anymore. I've had up to four 18-24" blues and a 18" striper in it at one time with 8lbs of ice. There's a slightly smaller version now that would work just as well. I keep it between my seat back and my crate.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I would say a Wilderness systems, Coosa or even the bass pro ascend SOT (Good price and could definitel be used in either of your locations).
                      Last edited by CB kayak 02; 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I use an Ocean Kayak Big Game on the South River, near Thomas Point, generally a few times a week during the season. I also use it on the upper Potomac, 4 to 5 times a year. I have a BassYak 55lb thrust motor mounted on the back. I have not had much of a problem with the rocks on the Potomac. I like a bit wider kayak, as they allow for alittle more twisting when you need to turn in the seat to get something from the tank well. It is also very easy to sit side saddle in the summer with your feet in the water. The wider kayaks are a bit more to paddle, but for me worth the effort. I started using the motor mostly for trolling for stripers. I still use a paddle for soft approach in quiet waters. The Ocean Kayak brand or the wider Malibu Stealth in 12 or 14 might be a good choice. Unless a wake is capping, I generally don't turn into the wake or at least find it necessary most of the time. If you want greater speed, then the more narrow SOT kayaks might be better. There are those on the forum that use small sit inside kayaks on the bay. For a few times a year that may be ok.

I too know about the boat wake on the South River. I don't have much trouble with the wake. Its the actual boats that I have had trouble with.
                        Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-10-2011, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I think on most days you'd be fine in what you have. If you're looking for a low cost bay boat, watch Craigslist for a sot kayak that is 11-15 ft long, scuppers, and ideally around 30" wide. There are a lot of great boats that fit that bill.

The new Jackson cuda looks awesome but the old prowlers or scrambler xt's can usually be found for cheap on craigslist or fishing forums. If you decide the drive is worth it then maybe take another look at the EK's or Hobie's the next season. I've paddled/owned quite a few kayaks and they all have their trade offs and different advantages. There is also an old mold tarpon marketed as a perception (i think?) that you can usually find for cheap new. Now is a good time to call dealers and ask about buying a demo boat from the year prior. It may have some scratches already, but it will look like new compared to our tog fishing enthusiast's boats!
                          Used to fish more.

Comment

Thanks all, I might watch Craigslist for a SOT. I might watch the wind and try the commander in back area in May if I don't have a SOT I like before then.

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            I also use it on the upper Potomac, 4 to 5 times a year. I have a BassYak 55lb thrust motor mounted on the back. I have not had much of a problem with the rocks on the Potomac.
                            Most areas are not bad but a few, Like the Horsebacks between Taylors and Snyders are jagged. The ledges come straight up and are sharp when they break. I have got me feet tore up pretty bad in there with just wearing sandals. I'd pull the motor up when drifting through here. It's also my backyard so PM me if you head up here.

Comment

If you pick your times and places I am sure you can make do with the Commander until you can find a sot. I regularly fish out of an Ascend FS10, a 10ft sink. The only issues I have had are when it gets gusty the waves will break over the bow and I will take some water on. Watch the wind and pick your location accordingly and I am sure you can manage. Lots of good options out there but I think Redfish's recommendations of a sot 11-15 ft long and 30 inches wide sound about right to me. Although, I have a 15ft Trident and its kind of a pain to transport (longer than my car lol), nice yak none the less. Lots of kayak's that fit that description

Chimo

Comment

Working...
                              X