Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in fishing Tomorrow (Sun) morn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in fishing Tomorrow (Sun) morn?

I want to head out for some end of season stripers. Is anyone in town and still fishing? I am thinking of hitting Herring Bay around 7:30 am. High tide is 9:30 am. Solar/lunar forecast puts the best time for the bite at 8:00 am, winds are supposed to be under 10mph.

Anyone not in Kipto and interested in coming along?

I am thinking of fishing south Sunday- The forecast is for NE winds 5 mph, less than one foot waves, high tide around 2:00 p.m.

My one concern is that the sudden infusion of large amount of fresh water in the Bay from rains and drop in temps could shut down the bite.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have the same lockjaw concerns from the rains but I'm willing to try it out. I haven't been out on the water in almost three weeks and I'm suffering from some severe fishing fever.

Tidalfish.com has at least one good report for that area from Friday.

Comment

I'm going to the Bay bridge about 11:30 to fish the incoming tide through the afternoon. I plan to troll out to the eastern rockpile and jig for schoolies and white perch then work my way back in jigging pilings on my return.

Steve, Greenbelt

Comment

Going to try my luck at PLO. Hoping to get a striper on a deep diving crankbait.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

You can also use a number 1 planer with a big swimming plastic shad to get down deep- I am looking at channel depths- the deepest areas down south not far from PLO are near Piney Point- there is a 70 foot channel and a 7 to 72 foot dramatic drop off from shallow to deep north of the long pier- I think there are fish around the fifty foot mark but the deeper waters are key- The other place is out of Buzz's Marina (Ridge, MD) at Point No Point buoy along that channel. They have been taking some big stripers over 40 inches and two over 50. I think PLO could produce some big fish today.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

As planned, I trolled from the east end of the BB to the eastern rockpile. The high tide was hours late but slack tide was brief and the incoming tide developed quickly. I managed to jig up 1 perch and then hooked up on 2 schoolie stripers of ~18" casting to the rip that formed on the southwest corner of the rockpile. Ran into Chexone out there and a few boaters. I trolled back the way I came without a hit. Great sunset and virtually flat water. I'm guessing that's my last Maryland striper trip for the 2011 season.

Comment

Having started my day a bit late, I opted for BB instead of PLO. Met Toadfinger who gave some tips (thanks!) and when he left, I took his spot at the rock pile and finally caught something at the BB! Got a 17, 18 and finally a 21" keeper. Caught them all on a chartreuse soft plastic about 4" with a spinner on it.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad you guys had a productive day on the water. I should've headed up to the BB instead of staying down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    You can also use a number 1 planer with a big swimming plastic shad to get down deep.
                    That's really good to know... I was wondering how to get lures to go deeper. Thanks for the tip.
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work, gents. That was a much more productive day than we had at Piney Point.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        Nice work, gents. That was a much more productive day than we had at Piney Point.
                        No luck down south huh? Bummer.

I was there for close to 5 hours and caught all 3 within 30 minutes right after sunset. Not a bite before or after that lucky streak so I might have easily been skunked otherwise.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                          That's really good to know... I was wondering how to get lures to go deeper. Thanks for the tip.
                          Check out the dipsy divers from Luhr Jenson. Not only will they get you down but they are also directional so your line will run out farther to the sides. I picked up some a couple years ago for the boat but have yet to try them. I have a feeling they will work much better on the yak and plan to try them out next season.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/d...rs/dipsy-diver

You can find info on using them here.
                          http://www.allseasonssports.com/store.asp?pid=11492
                          2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                          X