Striper primary food sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper primary food sources

What are they from the Bay Bridge up to Havre de Grace? I tried to do a bunch of reading on this but it seem most of what I can find is saltwater and not the brackish water conditions that could exist in here.

What are you using for lures for what times of the year?

Anyone been examining the stomach contents in the upper bay of the stripers?
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

stripers will eat anything they can, worms, eels, crabs, alwives, spot and white perch.

Comment

OK, so what lures are you using?

I am looking to make wooden plugs to top water and diving plugs. I got a football head jig mold but need others to target stripers. I need input on what lures work best from a kayak, not a downrigger, as all I can find.

I am looking for ideas, and thought, on what everyone has used, or think would work.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

The short answer to your question is that nearly any technique or lure/bait type may work at some location or time of the year. The key to successful catching is first find where the fish are. Then put something in front of them that gets their attention.

Shawn Kimbro released a new book on Chesapeake light tackle fishing just last week. I know Shawn -- he is a highly successful fisherman and a good writer. I have a copy on order. I'm sure it is chock full of information that could help to answer your question.

Lenny Rudow has published several books on Chesapeake fishing. They are also informative.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

OK, I got a pretty good idea, some top water lures, some crank baits and some deer hair jigs are going to work.

I just want some "I caught some on this lure"
          or "I like Bullet jigs for buck tails" or some other kind.

I want to start carving bodies for next May and buy some jig molds for bucktails. But I was looking for what other anglers thought worked for them.

Comment

well a popular bucktail is the hot lips type and a lot of people have success with big topwaters in the spring on the suski ones like chug bugs, rappelas Xraps, manns stretch series are proven catchers also. i picked up some poppers from lonely angler last winter and like there action but havent caught anything with them yet

outletbaitandtackle.com is having a good sale on bommer SW grade and manns stuff now, also zman frogs for snakeheads

Comment

My favorite popper now is the Stillwater Smack-It. Prior to that it was a Chugbug. A lot of my buddies have luck with Spooks, but they're my second choice. In fact, nearly all my stripers this year came in on the Smack-It. Another cool trick that worked well for me last year was a cheap popper with the hooks removed, 18-22" of leader tied to the rear eyelt, and a 1/8oz bucktail on the end of the leader. The fish hear the popper and hit the bucktail. It works well when fish are around in the usual topwater areas but aren't hitting the poppers. If they're feeding on smaller bait, the bucktail does the trick.

I've also had luck with X-Raps this year. I tried one last year, and nothing hit it. A shallow running Bomber Long A was pretty productive last year, though, but they don't cast worth a crap.

I like Spro bucktails, and Pinch was clobbering stripers at the Bay Bridge using jigheads he made from a similar model mold as the Spro.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

pencil popper type walking lure for breakers.....rapalas or crystal minnows for the creek mouth....those are about my only regular producers
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

What size bucktails are you using?

They have the 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/2 and the 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8

The small one would make teaser rig jigs like shrimp, but is 1/2" and 5/8" heavy enough in the current?

Ultra Minnow jig
                  Last edited by archeryrob; 12-12-2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

For flounder jigging, I use Spro bucktails between 3/4oz and 2oz depending on the depth and current of the area I'm fishing. I probably use the 1.5oz one most frequently. I think that's the size ultra minnow jighead Pinch was using at the Bay Bridge, too.
                    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The rockfish i caught this year thought that these were their primary food sources... boy were they wrong... (the bottlecap is there for scale... they didn't actually eat it)

Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Well. I got some Walleye diver that look like the first and 3rd. Plus making some poppers, rapala minnows, large jigs with teasers. Maybe a few tubes or dragging a plastic worm like a eel behind a jig like a following teaser.

Looking for a SOT Yak now and getting offers and looking.

Comment

When you catch a fish on a lure you made, that's gonna be such a thrill... (maybe you already have and you already know this). Good luck getting the yak.
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

hooked some on some spooks this year. I made some smithwick devil horses and they sank. (DAMN) It is hard to use a top water prop lures when it's too heavy and wants to sink. So I am still in the learning curve, but I am working hard at it.

Fish
                            drink beer
                            hunt water fowl,
                            did I mention drink beer?

Too many hobbies.

Comment

If you troll, you can't go wrong with the Rapala X-Rap or the Glass Shad Rap. I have alot of success with the color Glass Ghost. I mostly use the 15' deep diver model. In the spring I use the larger Rapala Magnum Raps, in the same color. Since I started kayak fishing, about five years ago, I have moved to alot of trolling for stripers. Without alot of structure on the bottom of the bay, trolling covers alot of water. It makes the search alot easier. If you use a GPS, you can troll along the contour lines. As for the bridge, I will let others speak to that.

I have also had good luck with YoZuri, Hardcore Drum and the Crystal Minnow. The Drum is much like a Rattle Trap but more life like. I use shad color. I also use the Crystal Minnow in shad color. I have also used some of the Lucky Craft minnow lures with success, the flashy type in deep diver. As you may tell, I like crankbaits, as you don't need any lead to get the baits down deep. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X