No announcement yet.

She's got a big butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks great. A job like that can be as simple or as complex as you wanted it to be. Looks like you got some good results.

Comment

Thanks guys... quite happy about it actually. Sucks that I can't go fishing this weekend.

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      Looks like you have the S grip. Know how the Trevala and S grip compare? Is the action the same? Is the S grip lighter? How many ounces?
      ... been thinking about it a bit, and looking at them, it looks like the regular trevalas, in general, have much bigger foregrips than the s-grips do. If you had a non-levelwind reel, like an Avet SX, you'd probably want that bigger foregrip to position your hand above the reel to wind properly. Just a thought.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

That's slick, when you opeing up shop?

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
          That's slick, when you opeing up shop?
          Messing with my own gear is one thing... messing with someone else's gear is a few stress levels higher
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback

Comment

Chex's Rod Mod Shop - Catch Bigger Fish
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Chex's Rod Mod Shop - Catch Bigger Fish
              Alright, you're up first Tuf... bring me your best rod. I'll make it even more better
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work.

You can buy a start up kit from www.mudhole.com and build your own rod. The only problem is, with all the options out there it takes longer to decide how you want it to look than to put it together. It is a great way to spend the down time when you can't get out and fish.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

NICE JOB on the modification!!! I work at BassPro in the Fishing dept and see ALOT of SCREW-UPS come in and poeple asking us how to fix it... I inevitablely tell them to toss it in the trash on most occasions. Good job and I may have a rod for you to do for me if you like. Its an antique bamboo trolling rod with a wood butt... Interested????
                  Tom Brown
                  Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                  2012 Hobie PA 14'
                  Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                  2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Haha you kidding?? I wouldn't trust myself with a priceless antique rod.

BPS huh? You probably see me every day
                    Mike S.
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                      NICE JOB on the modification!!! I work at BassPro in the Fishing dept and see ALOT of SCREW-UPS come in and poeple asking us how to fix it... I inevitablely tell them to toss it in the trash on most occasions. Good job and I may have a rod for you to do for me if you like. Its an antique bamboo trolling rod with a wood butt... Interested????
                      When you say screw ups do you mean people bringing in rods that they tried to modify themselves? Interesting...warranty probably doesn't cover that.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                        NICE JOB on the modification!!! I work at BassPro in the Fishing dept and see ALOT of SCREW-UPS come in and poeple asking us how to fix it... I inevitablely tell them to toss it in the trash on most occasions.
                        Medic... I'm curious too. People bring in their rods after cutting them... why? They did a really poor job and they look like crap? Or is there something structurally wrong with the rods?

Because cutting the rod is pretty simple... what I don't know yet is whether the cutting of it affects the structural integrity of the blank.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

I cut mine and added an adjustable weight back plug to offset heavy leads. In retrospect it is more comfortable however I have been in situations where i needed the longer handle. Hello From Afghanistan BTW
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                            I cut mine and added an adjustable weight back plug to offset heavy leads.
                            Right on Pinch. I just received the one I ordered last week. a Fuji weighted butt cap (http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...ghted-Butt-Cap). I thought I wouldn't be using it, but it's actually really elegant, so I put it on. Perfect fit, better balance.

In retrospect it is more comfortable however I have been in situations where i needed the longer handle.
                            I hope to live to regret cutting it off... it'll mean I've caught a big fish!

Hello From Afghanistan BTW
                            Be safe out there...
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback

Comment

Well by saying screw ups I mean both the people and the jobs that they "TRY" to do on the rods. Surprisingly there are alot of weekend worriors out there that just cut away and don't measure out what they are doing. I also refer to screw ups as the workmanship. If you alter a rod, say a Shimano, or a ST Croix, you, by way of altering the rod, void any warranty that may exist. All Basspro products carry a 1 yr warranty in the store and (for the most part), we will take back anything that is our product within a yr with no questions asked. Notce I said "For the most part". There are some there that when they see that an item was altered or damaged deliberately, will not take that item back.
                              Tom Brown
                              2012 Hobie PA 14'
                              Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Pinch, what the hell are you doing in Affganastan??? Be Safe over there buddy, Come home in the same manner you went over there in!!!!
                                Tom Brown
                                2012 Hobie PA 14'
                                Ocean Kayak Tident 13

Comment

Working...
                                X