Perch rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perch rig

I'm getting ready for some yellow perch fishing and thinking about my rig. I use a basic hi lo rig with two dropper loops. And lead hanging from the bottom. My question; is there a difference between using 20lb floro versus mono. I have mono and like the price.
    Thanks, Wil

When I started YP fishing last winter (early this year), I learned from more experienced anglers that yellow perch are not "leader shy". That being said, I think you'll do just fine with a decent rig made from mono.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

i dont think it makes a difference. i make t/b rigs using coated wire with crane arms and have no problem catching yps or any other fish with them.

with lures i use fluro leaders. but not leader stuff like seagar that only come in 25-30 yds spools, lately im using vicious 100% fluro., comes in 250' spool. much more economical.

Comment

I have not been able to confirm that there is leader shy or sinker shy fish yet in MD, VA, NC, NY, FL, CA and some Caribbean Islands. This is because I have limited experience perhaps.

To me, it is all about the confidence of an angler about what he is doing. For example, an LM angler I used to knew used 10-15lb test braided lines tied directly to lures. He caught big LM through the winter in the clear and icy water. I guess that whe I am confident I present the lures right

In my limited experience, I don’t think fluoro carbon leader save my rigs/fish from barnacles and rocks. Both got cut off at the same rate/situations.

Regarding visibility in the water of Mono vs Fluoro Carbon :

One day, I put both mono and fluoro carbon (rated at the same strength test) in the clear container with water. I looked at the lines in day time outside and at night under bright ceiling lights. They are the same as far as my naked eyes could tell. They look dark when I saw the lines from the opposite side of the light sources. They look shinny when I looked them 90 degree of the light sources. They are almost invisible when I looked at them from the same angles as that of the light sources.

Fish may have better vision/eyes than human. But they aren’t in the clear water usually. The only thing I do now (learned) is that replacing the leader after each trip. Regardless the kinds, old leaders are stained (yellowish). I found that used fluoro carbon is less stained (faded) than mono line. Perhaps this may made the difference for anglers who swear by fluoro carbon and don’t replace the leaders before each trip???

BTW,
        I dove few times when we were fishing from boats in Caribbean, I could see the fishing lines underwater very easily because I expected to see the new lines with new baits and the stained (sometimes with algae) old lines abadoned/cuf-off. Fish still bit the baits. Fish aren't smart.

Knot strength:

I tested multiple brands, mono and fluro carbon. I found these regardless the kinds and brands:

If lines are rated the same, In general/almost the thicker (bigger diameter) line wins.

For example I found that the diameter of a 30# rated fishing line of one company is equivalent to the diameter of a 40# rated line made by different company.

Mono Line memory:

I found last spring that Suffix mono lines (4-8#) have less line memories when fishing for Crappie or WP with small lures. Suffix mono is good especially fishing with little kids because of less line tangles when using a small lure to cast under the docks. Though I found that replacing 50-70’ of line on the spool with the new line of cheap brands right before each trip is better than buying and use Suffix line for longer period time.

Because of the above test/experience I had, I am using mono without hesitation. I am concentrating on my bait/lure selections and presentations of the lures.

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-21-2011, 05:10 PM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks for the comparison. I've been using mono and think I'll just stay with that. 20lb works nice because it helps the loop stick out from the main line. However, I am thinking about going with lighter line. Maybe 14 or 17 as long as it is rigid enough to stand out. May also try smaller loops.

Comment

Originally posted by wiljack78 View Post
            Thanks for the comparison. I've been using mono and think I'll just stay with that. 20lb works nice because it helps the loop stick out from the main line. However, I am thinking about going with lighter line. Maybe 14 or 17 as long as it is rigid enough to stand out. May also try smaller loops.
            It's winter ........ use light line ....... less memory etc ......... 4-8 lb is all you need ........ and down to ultra light rods ........ a bunch more fun ........ remember these are 6-14 " fish

Comment

WilJack78,

If you are planning to fish Perryville, you need a thinner line. The depth of water I caught YP is as deep as 70-80'. The current is mild but wind can push your kayak fast.

I used 15# test braided, 8-10# test mono leader and 1 - 1.5 oz sinker. I will be bringing some 2 -3 oz sinkers next time.

Below 32F air temp, line may stick on the spool or rod due to the ice foamed on the spool and rod. I am sure it will definitely happen when air temp is under 30F. This is another reason why I may need heavier sinkers

I was told that there is a product that prevents ice foaming on the line and spool. I am going to buy one or try WD40. I think spinning reel can be better than bait casting reel when ice foams on the spool. But someone with experience with bait casting can let us know about the ice foaming on the spool.

One more thing about safety:
              I learned this a long time ago when I had a boat. If the water around the ramp is frozen a bit, and the air temp is predicted to drop a lot, don’t paddle out. Because when you come back the ramp area can be frozen solid. Because I am on a kayak, I fear this - the worst thing that can happen to me is that I may not be able to surface to breathe if I get turtled on the thin ice,
              Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I have noticed that fluro leader material tends to be stiffer than mono leader. I would assume this would help the droppers stand further out while using lighter leader material. I have not used it to make bottom rigs though due to its expense so I can confirm this.

Not convinced it makes a difference in catching fish either. This is the first year that I used fluro for leaders and I did not notice a increase in fish. I fished jigs with fluro leader right next to non flour leaders and they did not favor one over the other.

Comment

Keeper

So how long is a keeper yellow perch for you? I read comments about some are too small to keep. I've not kept any in the past. This year some are coming home for dinner. What is a reasonable length to keep?

Comment

I use Spiderwire 4 lb test mono on my ultra light outfits- it is good mono- any light test mono needs to be changed frequently- usually twice a season- it isn't that expensive and the cheapest part of your trip is your line- why take a chance on losing a fish to a weak spot in your line?

Ultra-light spinning tackle makes a white or yellow perch a real fun fish to catch- the squeal of the drag and the pulsating rod- and when the occasional large mouth bass hits, wow! is it a challenge to land a four or five pound fish on 4 pound test-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by wiljack78 View Post
                      So how long is a keeper yellow perch for you? I read comments about some are too small to keep. I've not kept any in the past. This year some are coming home for dinner. What is a reasonable length to keep?
                      The regs say 10 fish over 9", but if you're on good fish I like to only keep them 10" or bigger.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I dont think water temps are going to be dropping much given the forecast, but I'm thinking of giving it a try later next week, anybody else?
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

With all being said, I will relay this experience. I was fishing for smallmouth bass on the upper Potomac. It was summer with low, clear water conditions. I was using 10lb test floro leader and my friend was using 6lb floro line. He was out catching me on smallmouth 5 or 6 to 1. He gave me some of his 6lb test to use. I then started to catch smallmouth right up to his numbers. Now, you make the call. Sometimes it may matter.

I generally use floro leaders in the bay, when trolling for stripers. However, I have also caught them with braid tied directly to the lure. In stained water, it probably does not matter that much. As Memory Maker said, winter water tends to be a bit clearer. With all of this said, I have always caught perch, white and yellow, on mono just fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X