No announcement yet.

My 2011 Year in Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MATT, You're just teasing us!! what are you using, Fly, spinner, jigging, Trolling. Kite... where are you catching them at? I'm assuming by the species that you're in FLA??? and sounds like again by the species that you're in the Keys...
    Send us some pics. Most of us are living vicariously through you and your reports!
    Thanks buddy
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
      MATT, You're just teasing us!! what are you using, Fly, spinner, jigging, Trolling. Kite... where are you catching them at? I'm assuming by the species that you're in FLA??? and sounds like again by the species that you're in the Keys...
      Send us some pics. Most of us are living vicariously through you and your reports!
      Thanks buddy
      http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?t=2347

Check here

Comment

WOW, I never saw that post before. Don't know how I missed it. VERY COOL!!! Hope to see the video later...Be safe bro,
        Tom Brown
        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
        2012 Hobie PA 14'
        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I'm still in virgina beach fishing pier I caught my tile fish, large black sea bass and even a dogfish shark. We're on the re angler with captain skit I would highly recommend him. He is not afraid to move his boat and we got a lot of fish.

Comment

First Yak Fishing Season

This was my first season fishing from a kayak. My focus was the fresh water reservoirs and lakes near my home, along with fishing the Upper Potomac for smallies.

I caught the biggest largemouth of my life from the kayak this year, 20 inches and fat. I caught a couple of others in the spring that were 18-20 inches, but not quite as big.

Once the summer heat came, I focused on the Potomac river and catching smallies. I fished several new areas of the river and caught a few smallies in the 16 inch range, but nothing huge. I had a wonderful September day near Harpers Ferry where I caught over 20 fish and the guy I was fishing with probably caught 30.

The Potomac is a beautiful river and I wish I lived closer to it.

In the Fall I launched at Harbor Hospital one Saturday with no luck at all. It was real windy. But I'll be back in 2012 and hope to catch my first rockfish from my kayak.

Best wishes to all.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
              I'm still in virgina beach fishing pier I caught my tile fish, large black sea bass and even a dogfish shark. We're on the re angler with captain skit I would highly recommend him. He is not afraid to move his boat and we got a lot of fish.
              How did your arms feel after the Tile trip

Comment

Congratulations, Moc-

Winter time fishing off Virginia Beach offshore wrecks yields some unusual fish, including some big lobster- and big Cod...the Rick's wreck, the Triangle wreck's, the SE Lumps, the 4A bouy...and even the Tower artificial reef produce some pretty amazing fish...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                  How did your arms feel after the Tile trip
                  We did great. We caught a cooler full of fish. I got a 15 pound blue tile fish which qualified me for a citation, which I will get the plaque in a year I guess. We caught many Black Seabass. Some of which were citation size, but we were too tired to wait around to weigh and fillout more paperwork. The cooler was 100 quarts. I would highly recommend going out on one of these 18 hour deep drop trips. It was a great way to close out 2011.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice catches, Matt! You make me want to go there.

Nice cooler, moc. Congrats! I like those two big tiles you're holding. Hey, any tog? I heard big togs can be caught out there.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

No togs in site. Only Blue Tile Fish, Golden Tilefish, Sharks, 1 Flounder on the boat, 2 strawberry groupers, and lots of tasty balck seabass.

Comment

How did you get hooked up with this trip, Moc? Golden Tile fish get really big- what tackle did you use? 4/0 reels with fifty braid? or electrics?
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My brother in law set it up on the Rudee Angler with Captain Skip. It was $225.00 per person. The boat was limited to only 25 anglers. The trip lasted just over 18 hours. The reels were provided, (not electric), however, you can bring your own if you like. At least three guys brought electric reels. That was an asset to have when you are fishing a 24 ounce weight in 300 to 900 feet of water. Lots of winding. The hot bait provided seemed to be the tentacle part of the squid. Bring your own extra salted squid would be a good idea too.

http://www.rudeeinletcharters.com/20...p-drop-report/

Comment

Working...
                          X