Crabs and a trot line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabs and a trot line

Anyone doing it from a kayak? We used to do pots from a canoe in small creek with traps, but I don't have the room in a kayak for the traps.

Anyone running the line in a kayak?
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

You need to talk to Moc about his posts on kayak trotline for crabs. He seems to have process down. I think he also has a crabbing video on YouTube.

Metroman is trying. That saga will continue next summer. Sorry Metro, the devil made me say that.

Comment

I was thinking trot line or hoop traps, but I am looking for thoughts, opinions and advice!
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

I have used 12 traps from a kayak. I put broom sticks in the flush mount rod holders to stack the traps. I have now opted to just put my 30 traps around our community marina. I get just as many crabs that way, without launching the kayak. Moc is the one with the kayak trotline answers. If you look sometime back into last summer there are in depth instructions on his methods.

Comment

MOC and I have posted several threads on running a trotline. MOC uses snoods and I bait the main line using quick snap on clips. He posted a nice video this summer as well. Read both threads as there's a lot of info if you're looking for specifics. Just do a search for kayak crabbing.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Both Metroman and Moc have done it with success. They both have great videos on youtube. I did it last year with traps and I found it easier to lay my 13 traps flat between my legs. This year I will be trying the trotline myself . Those guys gave me inspiration. I did really well with the traps in the Severn River.

Comment

Here is my crabbing video on running a trotline from a Hobie kayak. I have successfully run it in 5 feet of water all the way up to 40 feet of water last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJc4gfMzVGU

Comment

I started late in the season last year. Can't wait to get at em this coming season..
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9MC...e_gdata_player
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  I started late in the season last year. Can't wait to get at em this coming season..
                  I am right there with you Metroman... We will give the the one - two punch!

On my last trip in November....yes November, I came up with some other ideas to make retrieving and packing away the trotline easier.

Machburner "MOC" aka "The Crab Whisperer"

Comment

We definitely have to do some trips together like how we mentioned last season. I will be running the full 600' this season.

The fact that my wife loves crabs so much will make it that much easier to get a "pass" to get out on the water.

Comment

I should be running 600' myself. Im kinda more excited about the crabbing than fishing. Even though I love them the same. Crab feast on my new deck this summer. BYOB ( Bring Your Own beer) . LOL

Comment

Woot woot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
                          I should be running 600' myself. Im kinda more excited about the crabbing than fishing. Even though I love them the same. Crab feast on my new deck this summer. BYOB ( Bring Your Own beer) . LOL
                          Ya know ........ THAT should be a meet and greet !!!!!!!!

We crab and fish and have a crabfeast

Comment

I am with you guys on that! Steamed crabs and fried frish! With three of us kayak crabbing with 600 foot lines + should give us the ability to catch several bushels.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              I can tell you got into it late, say around September, maybe? I got all distracted around 6:50 I heard some one shooting at the geese.

I 'll let you know if my buddy Greg and I give it a go. I sent him the videos of MOC and he was watching them on Youtube and now is hopped up for getting a Hobie.

Comment

Working...
                              X