CCA Pickerel Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCA Pickerel Tournament

I just got this in my email. I'm a CCA Member and I thought of all of you Pickerel Catchers... Enjoy and go get'em
    CCA MD Pickerel Championship starts this month
    CCA Maryland is announcing a new event for recreational anglers during the winter months—the first CCA MD Tidal Pickerel Championship. Running from Jan. 15 through March 15, the championship encourages anglers to register with selected tackle shops then catch pickerel in any tidal stream in the Chesapeake. Awards will be presented to both winning anglers and the winning shop.
    “There’s no need to stop fishing in the winter,” says Executive Director Tony Freidrich. “Pickerel can be found in many of the streams in our area and are an exciting challenge on light tackle and fly gear. We are now finalizing details and will announce them in a Tightlines before Jan. 15.”
    Judging will be done through photos submitted electronically so anglers can chose to employ catch and release techniques, and participants will be given rulers when they register. Bait and treble hooks are excluded. Currently participating shops are All-Tackle, Anglers Sport Center, Tochterman’s Fishing Tackle, and Shore Tackle and Custom Rods. Entry fee is $25 and includes a one-year CCA membership.
    This is the first event being coordinated by CCA Maryland’s new Annapolis Chapter.
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Tom -

I received a notice about the new CCA pickerel tournament too. They have not announced all the details yet, but I did notice that neither bait nor treble hooks are not allowed (presumably that eliminates lures that have trebles on them, like Mepps spinners). The rationale for that rule is not explained in the press release.

The Severn River Rod and Keg Club has held a successful winter pickerel tournament for at least the last 5 years. This was the incentive that got me out of the house to begin winter fishing 5 years ago. The format we use spans several months (this year mid-Nov through early March) and allows fishing only within the Severn watershed.

The entry fee is $10. Prizes are awarded for the largest individual pickerel and the highest aggregate total of three fish. With only a dozen or so entrants, the pot is not very large. The minimum eligible length is 21". Fish must be photographed next to a measuring device, and the photo is submitted as evidence. We measure to the nearest 1/4".

Because the SRRKC tournament spans several months, anglers are not forced to go out on bad weather days in order to compete. Pickerel open season ends on March 15, so unless the CCA event starts soon, there will not be very long to fish in their event.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
    X