Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirage Drive - Ring Maintenance

Anyone have this problem? (See pic)

Had some fishing split rings lying around, so I used it to replace the damaged one. The wire gauge on the new one is thicker. Fits well.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

thanks for the post. this is something i've felt a little guilty about - not worrying about, understnding, or maintaining the mirage drive. i checked it over when i first got it but haven't focused any attention on it since.

but you're right - it's good time to give it some of the love it deserves

Comment

Yeah I replaced mine... They both did that. I can tell you first hand it is scary to change them on the water at night when it is cold... I had a minor issue at the hrbt the other day.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

Ive seen just about everything that can go wrong, go wrong on the mirage drive.

Broken off pedals, stripped teeth, Turbo fin Stainless shafts break in two, torn fins, the long pin that holds the two fins on and inline fall out, stripped pedal length adjustors, broken split rings and broken cables.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

gee Pinch you are hard on the equipment! was that the drive from the used revo? i had the long pin on my 09 drive come loose at the oct. m&g and had to tap it back in to get the drive out. im going to take the drive to Dennis at BYB next weekend for a tune up and replace the drive chain that got smashed on an oyster bar a couple years ago when we had the M&G at Harrison's on the Choptank

Comment

my split rings do that as well, haven't figured out why yet

Comment

Definitely a good idea to have extras with you.
              Used to fish more.

Comment

Mike,
                When you were on the water, did you lose the pin when you had the ring problem?

Hobie says to use WD-40 on the metal parts. But sheesh, the spray splatters all over the place when trying to treat the parts. So, I use 3-in-1 oil for no-splatter application. What do you guys do?

Comment

I didn't loose it but I was pretty worried I would. I flipped the hatch knob up and used it for my workspace. I hit a submerged rock and bent the front fin into the back fin. I popped the front fin off, bent the shaft, and then reassembled. It went pretty smoothly actually.
                  Used to fish more.

Comment

from tufniks pix it looks like the pins rubbing against something, the pin looks worn and the rings stretched. might be wobbling because the drives not set correctly.

i try to rinse the drive after every trip and give the drive a couple squirts of WD40 using the straw that comes with the can, give it a good check for loose parts, the little allen screw that locks the large pin isnt visible and ive been missing it on inspections

Comment

The manual says to use the brass knob to tighten the flaps. Loosen the knob for "soft" pedaling. Tighten the knob (for stiffer flap tension) for "hard" pedaling. I think this tension determines the slop or wobble at the ring/pin area next to the knob. I prefer to have the knob tight. But apparently there is enough slop to allow the split ring to tear up.

Comment

Working...
                      X