Need to learn how to catch rockfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to learn how to catch rockfish.

Hi folks. My main passion is fishing on the Potomac River for smallmouth bass. However, in 2012 I want to do some fishing in Bay tributaries for rockfish. I only have a Manta Ray 11 kayak, so I don't think I'll be up for any big water areas of the Bay. I'm not expecting to catch anything huge, so juvenile rockfish would be fine.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to target rockfish with my bass gear? Should I focus on trolling, vertical jigging, or what other methods should I use?

I'm likely to be fishing from the ramp near Harbor Hospital, but I'm open to trying some other areas if access is easy and the drive isn't too far.

Thanks,

Kent Narrows, lights by the police dock, Night time, Ultra Lite/ Light rod rigged with no weight or a 1/16 oz jig head and a small dark colored grub or shad. Cast into the lights and you will catch all the small rock you want.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Severn River, Jonas Green Park should work for small and larger rockfish. This is a good place to troll, jig, live line or bait fish. It is on Rt. 2, just before crossing the bridge to Annapolis.

Comment

Parking

Thanks guys for the quick response. I'm intrigued by Pinch's suggestion.

I transport my kayaks using a Jeep Wrangler with the kayaks on a small utility trailer. Will I have trouble parking in these spots with the trailer?

Comment

Find a calm day and you will fare just fine fishing the bay bridge as well from your manta ray...
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            Thanks guys for the quick response. I'm intrigued by Pinch's suggestion.

I transport my kayaks using a Jeep Wrangler with the kayaks on a small utility trailer. Will I have trouble parking in these spots with the trailer?
            You cannot park at Jonas Green with a trailer, but you can at the Kent and Narrows.

Comment

Bay bridge East side pilings. Jig near the structure with 1-1.5oz shad jigs, but expect to snag up quite a bit. I've lost half a dozen lures in one day trying to jig there.
              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Read Shawn Kimbro's new book, "Chesapeake Light Tackle". That is a great primer on targeting Chesapeake Bay rockfish with light tackle gear. Although he fishes primarily from a boat, it all applies to the yak as well.

http://www.chesapeakelighttackle.com/
                Hobie PA 12

Comment

Where to Launch

So where do you launch if you want to fish the east side of the Bay Bridge?

I'll check out that book on chesapeake light tackle fishing.

So much to learn, but even some mild success will be fun.

Comment

you will need a queen anne county ramp permit if you bring a trailer to kent narrows, you can get 1 at anglers on rt 50

Comment

Many of us Launch from G Dock which is at the Marina next to the Restaurant Hemmingways. I am sure if you search this forum you will find losts of info on this. The marina lets us use G Dock for free so we try not to have the kayakers who use it, to have no impact to their area. We park in the back and we throw our trash away and keep the noise down, since there are some people who stay on their boats. G dock is the easiest place to launch on the East side of the bay bridge with the shortest paddle.

Comment

Best thing would be to come out to one of the M&G's in the salt or go with someone who is heading out into the bay. Where are you located?
                        Used to fish more.

Comment

I'm located....

Near Columbia. I guess when Pinch gets back I'll be pretty close to him. I think there's a guy that lives in Olney not too far from me too....

Yes, I'll have to do one of the meet and greets!

Comment

i live in columbia
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Hit me up when the spring/early summer rolls around and I'll take you out.
                              Used to fish more.

Comment

Working...
                              X