No announcement yet.

memorial weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a pretty good day overall. First, the weather gurus were wrong in our favor for a change. The showers and t-storms never happened.

We didn't find any love at all from the stripers despite perfect shoreline conditions. Either the full moon already had their bellies full, or the residents are still upstream somewhere. Final tally in the shallows: striper - 0, white perch - 2, channel cat - 2 (on a rattle trap)

Croaker fishing worked out much better. The plan was to meet up with a neighbor at Bushwood for his 2010 shakedown, he was shooting for a 10:00 AM launch. Started the search hitting normal croaker spots below the bridge. Caught the first few at Banks O Dee, an area below Cedar Point. Added a few more at Swan Point and more near Cobb Island. When we finally got to Bushwood we found the motherload. We ended the day around 1:00 PM with two limits in the cooler along with some blue cats that the neighbor's brother wanted. Most croakers were between 11 - 13". Handed off the rest of my garlic seasoned shrimp to the neighbor when we left and he caught a few 16 - 18" on them later in the day.

A good day, but I still need my striper fix, they'll be there soon.

Comment

Capt C - Great reports! Do you think you'll head out around 301 this weekend? I think I might fish with my HnL buddy but I plan on bringing my yak to launch from the beach by 301 and check out a few spots I know near there.

I fish that area all summer for hardhead and rock on light tackle. Usually a lot of good fish in there starting this time of the year. Last year around the 4th we got into a huge school that stayed for about 2 weeks, they were everywhere around aqualand. Did you get into any of them?
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Capt C - Great reports! Do you think you'll head out around 301 this weekend? Usually a lot of good fish in there starting this time of the year.
        Redfish, I'll be in the area on Friday trying to get some fish for my grandson. Probably won't spend much time on rock so he doesn't lose interest, so back to Bushwood for croakers. Meeting rest of family for crabs @ CJ's at Cobb Is. in the afternoon.
        Had a really good year last year (my first with the yak) fishing mostly for skinny water stripers. Was a dependable fishery when time of day and tide were right. Can't wait to try some live spot on the new coal dock if they let us near it. Last Sat. plant security with a bullhorn told me 100 yd min. distance from shore around plant and the have posted TWIC plackards all along their fence. Guess time will tell.

Comment

You never know with those guys. We've been afraid to fish the bridge pilings for the same reason. I think they have backed off of those and I'll probably start trying them again this weekend. Let me know if you plan on heading that way this weekend in the Yak, I will be out there Saturday morning from boat and probably all Sunday evening from kayak.

Comment

can the plant close off navigable waters? Kind of like a beach, up to the high tide line its state ground, not privately owned. Just curious unless its a federal thing. Be nice to ask the coasties.

Comment

I'm sure the Feds are the enforcers. Same restrictions at Calvert Cliffs near shore and the buoys around Cove Point gas dock. I wandered inside the buoys the first time I fished there. They warn you away pretty quick and the Coasties can be there in under 5 minutes. This is all new at Morgantown so it might have been an over anxious security guard. Sure hope that's the case, I've fished that shore since before Pepco built there.

Comment

Capt - C, I hope that's the case but I have a feeling they'll run you off that dock pretty quickly. We were looking at it during the early spring season and it looks like it's going to be a great place. Hopefully we can find out.

We've caught a lot of nice fish in that area in years past. In the summer there is almost always a school of blues between the outflow and 33. It can be pretty fun for kids to catch some of those cocktail blues, you might check it out when they show up.

Comment

Working...
                X