Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody kayak fish Wachapregue for spring flounder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody kayak fish Wachapregue for spring flounder?

Thinking about spring flounder. Any info about Wachapregue would be helpful.

I'd like to find a campground nearby and learn specifics about hotspots, techniques.
    Chip

Morgantown, PA / Tilghman, MD

Tarpon 120
    Parker 2320

Flounder

I'd be interested to know if anyone else chases those floormats in their yaks. I'd love to do that myself if it's safe enough. Never been there and don't know what the conditions are like.
    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Never been to the wachapreague area, but other great spots for FLounder locally are ocean city and Cape Henlopen and Roosevelt Inlet, DE

Comment

hey edgewater i see you found us! grady black and i went down last spring, nice place but a lot of boat traffic there. we also went to kiptopeke and got out to the concrete ships but was way too windy to stay and fish them very rough water with the wind blowing down the bay.

we stayed at the holiday inn express in exmore va, camping at kipto. state park or cherrystone campground

going to target flounder more this year, delawares closer and has some nice flounder

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
          hey edgewater i see you found us! grady black and i went down last spring, nice place but a lot of boat traffic there. we also went to kiptopeke and got out to the concrete ships but was way too windy to stay and fish them very rough water with the wind blowing down the bay.

we stayed at the holiday inn express in exmore va, camping at kipto. state park or cherrystone campground

going to target flounder more this year, delawares closer and has some nice flounder
          I'm chasing flounder - not the location. So - Delaware huh? Lewis?

Tell me more.
          Chip

Tarpon 120
          Parker 2320

Comment

I'd love to chase them too. I have never fished for them in a yak. Have caught them in OC during summer as well as Indian River area in Delaware from my boat though.
            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

A few post from last year.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t=pinch&page=3

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...light=metroman

Comment

I'm liking Lewes DE. Much closer to home and good fishing too.

I did some Tog fishing with a buddy a couple of years ago and he told me the flounder fishing is good.

When do the fish get there in ernest?

Maybe I can rustle up a buddy kayaker of two to fish with me.

Thanks for the links.
                Chip

Tarpon 120
                Parker 2320

Comment

Chip -

There are often good flounder around the Wachapreague Inlet and the channels that lead out there. However, it is a long distance from the town of Wachapreague to the inlet. The current moves strongly through the channels so it is definitely wise to plan your trip to take advantage of the tides.

When I first got into kayak fishing, I paddled my first kayak (Ocean Kayak Drifter) all the way to the inlet, caught a few fish (not flounder as I recall), and paddled back. I was pretty tired after that. Now I would probably not paddle that far. I have a 16' Scout that works great for that area. Last August, my friend and I caught dozens of flounder out of that boat in two days of fishing the inlet area. We kept two 19" fish. I cleaned them, and took the filets to the restaurant in town. The chef prepared them for us, and it was good eatin'.

My trips to Wachapreague have always been in late summer or early fall. I stayed a few times at the hotel in Wachapreague (no frills), but on the last two trips I rented an apartment from a friend who has a house there.

From Wachapreague, it is about a 50 minute drive south to the near side of the CBBT. Two years ago, my friend and I fished the area from our kayaks -- last summer we fished from my Scout. We launched both times at the national wildlife refuge that is located on the ocean side very near the tip of the eastern shore (as you are driving south, you turn left at a hotel/convention facility that is on the right side). This is just a few minutes south of Kiptopeke. The launch area takes you into a canal that is sheltered. The current can flow pretty fast through here, so plan your trips to take advantage of the current. If you turn right after launching, the canal leads out to an open area by Fisherman's island. There are plenty of places to drift or cast in the open area and along the bridge pilings. Squid, minnows, or Gulps should get the job done. If you turn left, you can drift the canal and find some open areas at the end of the canal to fish. It is a good place to go on a windy and rough day.

I know that many guys fish for flounder there in March, but don't know how many of them are in kayaks. I think most are in power boats.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

.... as John said ....... it's a long way fronm the ramp to the fishing grounds at Wach ........ might want to check out Oyster .......... and Camping is less than 5 miles from the Ramp at Cherrystone ....... also convenient to Fishersman's Island that John mentioned

Comment

i think the Lewes canal flounder tenement is at the end of may i need to check for the exact dates but they do pretty good. i was going on a tog trip on the indian head boat and i was standing on the back waiting to leave and this guy drifts by and right as he goes by he wacks a real nice flattie right in front of me (the prick)

capt. zeds (wachapreaque) flounder tourny april 15-24

lewes canal tourny may 20

these are last years dates

Comment

Thanks for all the replies -

John - Sounds like Wachapreage requires a bigger boat. I think my Parkers is too be though.

Others - Anybody planning to make a trip to Lewes in May? Be nice to have a buddy yakker along in bigger water insteat of going solo.
                        Chip

Tarpon 120
                        Parker 2320

Comment

I think come that time, there will be a number of guys ready to head out that way

Comment

at the end of may the rock slow down and the flounder start up, ill definitely be headin that way more than once this season

Comment

I am definitely in for spring flounder fishing this year- I want to try to fish the Wallops Island/MD border area of eastern shore.
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X