No announcement yet.

How do you rig a 10" BKD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rig them slit up. You can really see the difference in the action when you reel them in. I always wondered why anything would hit them until I rigged them that way.

Also, you don't really need super long shanked hooks. Stripers almost always aim for the head, and the fish sometimes got hooked deeper when I've used a long shank hook. Just my $0.02.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Slit up=best action!!

Comment

I will have to try them slit up. Sounds like it may be the way to go.
        Jim

Hobie Outback
        TKAA member
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I agree with the Doc, wide gap is more important than long shank.
          Used to fish more.

Comment

see to me mikes look up side down, with 2 tone soft plastics i thought the lighter color is the bottom like the white belly of a fish. i heard some where that the slit also creates a bubble pattern while jigged. the slit can also be loaded with sent like pro cure.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
              see to me mikes look up side down, with 2 tone soft plastics i thought the lighter color is the bottom like the white belly of a fish. i heard some where that the slit also creates a bubble pattern while jigged. the slit can also be loaded with sent like pro cure.
              Yeah, when rigged hook-through-slit, the thing flies upside down. But it sounds like people are seeing better action that way. I've seen several people say they will start through the slit (upside down) and when that has loosened up too much, they turn it over and rig the hook through the back (right side up) for a better hold. I'm finding it a lot easier to rig it through the slit, so that's how I will start. I ordered a few rattle tubes to put in the slit. No idea if that will help anything (and if it does, great, because I need all the help I can get!)

Also, fish are duo-toned like that in order to be less visible to predators, so by flipping them over, maybe we make them MORE visible = catch more fish?
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

yeah is a toss up belly up belly down what ever puts a hook in its mouth works for me. but i have never see anyone trolling an umbrella rig with the shads upside down

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                  yeah is a toss up belly up belly down what ever puts a hook in its mouth works for me. but i have never see anyone trolling an umbrella rig with the shads upside down
                  Shads have tails... these are straight tailed, I think that's a little different. Besides, you guys sounds like largemouth bass guys... the belly is white and needs to be facing down... Have you ever seen what happens when you really rip one of these? They flip around anyway. I think the two tone just helps for contrast, and for rock it definitely doesn't matter. I go hook out of the slit till it starts to fall off, then flip it through the back. I couldn't tell you what works better because I'm only casting one at a time. Next summer we can try to "test" but I think there are way too many variations to fishing them that it wouldn't reveal anything.

Here's the two hook nail weighted version I mentioned... I need to clean my desk.

Used to fish more.

Comment

Do you use an in-line lead sinker? A three way swivel with a 1 or 2 ounce bank sinker on one of the loops?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I was casting this in the fall over some shallow channel edges... not as successful as I would have hoped. Did much better on a rattle trap and swim shad.
                      Last edited by Redfish12; 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM.
                      Used to fish more.

Comment

Working...
                      X