Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for the Pax river this afternoon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for the Pax river this afternoon?

Anyone want to hit the Patuxent for some pre-spawn YP this afternoon? Thinking of launching from Hills Bridge around 1 or 2 and heading down into Jug Bay. Nice calm trip.

Making me crazy.. I'm working in solomons, and you'll be just upriver from me, fishing... dammit!

Comment

Swing by on the way home, I'll lend ya a rod and my Loon!

Comment

That'd be sweet! And I appreciate the offer, but my job keeps me on call 24/7 while I'm down here..

Comment

Originally posted by kaya king View Post
          That'd be sweet! And I appreciate the offer, but my job keeps me on call 24/7 while I'm down here..
          What kind of work do you do? I spent my summers growing up in Town Creek across the river from Solomons. My grandmothers dock was across from Boatel California.

I can remember watching them build the bridge from the back yard, It's been a while.
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
            Anyone want to hit the Patuxent for some pre-spawn YP this afternoon? Thinking of launching from Hills Bridge around 1 or 2 and heading down into Jug Bay. Nice calm trip.
            I cannot make it tomorrow. But it sounds like fun. So you will launch at Hills Bridge and end up at Jugs Bay? Are you paddling back to Hills Bridge or do you have another car waiting for you at Jugs? How is the parking at Hills?

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
              I cannot make it tomorrow. But it sounds like fun. So you will launch at Hills Bridge and end up at Jugs Bay? Are you paddling back to Hills Bridge or do you have another car waiting for you at Jugs? How is the parking at Hills?

It's only about a mile and a half from Hills Bridge down the Pax to Jug Bay so you can just park at the bridge and paddle down and back. You need to check the tides and time it right or you can get stuck in pretty swift currents. You can also ride the tides and have a nice relaxing trip both ways. There is a ton of parking at the bridge and there is a gravel/dirt cartop boat launch with a platform right off the parking lot.

Comment

Rockchaser, I work for the MD pilots assoc. I work a week on/week off. So I'm here half the time.
                So where's Hills Bridge?
                Nay sayer, did you go?

Comment

Originally posted by kaya king View Post
                  So where's Hills Bridge?
                  Nay sayer, did you go?
                  Hill's Bridge is the little bridge on Rt 4 where you cross the Patuxent River and go from PG County to Anne Arundel County. There is a small fishing pier and kayak/canoe launch there. It is formally called Patuxent Wetlands Park.

I went and had a beautiful paddle but, despite seeing plenty of fish on the ff, I got only one bite in the three hours I was out.

Comment

Does the launch still become almost unusable at low tide? I remember seeing it look like a mud big at times!

That pier there is where I first learned to fish!
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
                      Hill's Bridge is the little bridge on Rt 4 where you cross the Patuxent River and go from PG County to Anne Arundel County. There is a small fishing pier and kayak/canoe launch there. It is formally called Patuxent Wetlands Park.

I went and had a beautiful paddle but, despite seeing plenty of fish on the ff, I got only one bite in the three hours I was out.
                      Ah, is that place Wayson's Corner? Also, what kind of where people catching there?

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        Does the launch still become almost unusable at low tide? I remember seeing it look like a mud big at times!
                        It depends on how low the tide is that day. I've launched when it was a mud bog with a 6" creek in the middle that I had to wade through knee deep mud to get to (should have gone home, stinky horrible mud). Yesterday I launched near low tide and it was fine.

Originally posted by moc View Post
                        Ah, is that place Wayson's Corner? Also, what kind of where people catching there?
                        That's it, although technically Waysons Corner is just the Duffy's Bar/liquor store, two gas stations and the bingo hall I think. Oh, and the trailer park.

It is mostly YP, WP, and catfish. There are LM Bass too. And "suckerfish" -creek chubsuckers - which I had never heard of until the guy I was talking to at the pier there after my trip caught one during our conversation.

Comment

Hey NS, looks like i missed you this weekend. I didn't check the forum beforehand or I would have joined you. I ended up going out on Sunday from Lyons Creek, but chose to explore a small creek to get out of the wind on the Pax rather than head up to Jug Bay. Unfortunately that didn't help me get into any fish. Still an enjoyable paddle though; this weekend was nice on the water. Hill's Bridge is pretty local for me so I'd be glad to head out of there sometime. I'm closer to King's Landing and Benedict, so those are my usual Patuxent haunts but getting a little farther north where the river narrows sounds appealing on some of these windy but fishable days.

Comment

I dida good amount of fishing from Kings Landing when I was younger, both from the pier and from a kayak. Great area. Caught lots of catfish, and I'm pretty sure we caught a Drum of some sort back when I was like 12.

Would like to fish there this summer and at the end of Lower Marlboro Road in Calvert county.

Comment

Have always heard the perch run in spring around that area is pretty good. I've never fished there but would like to try and get out in the yak after them to avoid the elbow to elbow crowds.
                              2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                              X