So how about this weather.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how about this weather.....

If it hasn't been obvious enough, we're having a very warm winter right now and it's not just in this region. Average high temps should be in the low 40s where I am. I just checked the past month, we've had quite a few days in the mid to high 50s and even 60s... Feb 1st it looks like it'll be in the low 60s again. How do you think this is going to affect the fishing once spring rolls in and the water temps start warming up even earlier than usual? I think I might be back out on the water by late March at this rate, instead of late May.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

I thought about that too. If the fish start coming in earlier than usual, I'm going to hit the water sooner. So, gotta get all my winter projects/chores done soon.

Will have to keep an eye on the fishing reports.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

My thoughts, too- I ordered some fishing equipment for my Outback today- plan to experiment and use a technique I saw used in Garibaldi, Oregon, for Chinook Salmon on Stripers in the Bay- can't see why it wouldn't work-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Weather's great just need the freetime to use it for fishing!!

Comment

I had robins in the backyard this morning and saw daffodils coming up... I'm just waiting for the spring peepers to think its April! Not good for the ice fishing I want to do Guess Its time to get the yak back out on the water

Chimo

Comment

You're going to have to show us this new technique, Ron. So we can catch big fish too

Comment

With a warm winter, it will make the crabs active early for all of you kayak crabbers out there.

Comment

Crabs equal predatory fish...big crabs; big fish...

Comment

some may say the fish are already here...
                  sigpic

Comment

Big stripers are around.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-f...0-They-re-Back!!

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      Wow....
                      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

thats not new, they winter off the Va. coast.

Comment

and at Cape Point, Hatteras, NC...beach haul seiners used to launch boats and circle thousands of yards of nets around schools of monster cow stripers averaging 50 pounds from the beach and use 4WD trucks to drag tens of thousands of them up on the beach- back in the day they got 15-20 cents a pound for them- I was glad that stopped- the peculiar thing about these huge schools of late winter fish was that they did not seem to be actively feeding and surf fishermen were not catching these big stripers- mostly bluefish, spot, whiting and trout- I witnessed one such event while I was surf fishing one late January at Buxton- there was no indication of any schools of fish, yet the beach haul seiners came in on a bunch of us- launched their boat in the surf right where we were fishing- ran out a quarter of a mile and then went down the beach a hundred yards and come back in dropping their nets the entire way- then they hooked trucks up to the nets with nylon ropes and started backing up pulling the net in- they would back up fifty yards, unhook, run down to the edge of the water and hookup again- when the nets were a few hundred yards off shore you could see fish swimming inside the nets- it was a debacle of waste-

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                            With a warm winter, it will make the crabs active early for all of you kayak crabbers out there.
                            I want to try that this year. I just have to figure out how to stack them down well enough so if I flip the kayak I won't lose the traps.
                            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                            X