Rudder on paddle yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder on paddle yak?

on the water and kayak kevins dvd, i noticed a lot of guys dont have rudders installed on their non hobie kayaks. is there a specific reason or advantage to not having a rudder?
    sigpic

One more thing to get your line / fish to get tangled around ... Personal preference

Chimo

Comment

I don't have a rudder on either of my paddle-type kayaks. Occasionally I wish I did -- especially in a strong breeze when the waves try to force the kayak into a particular orientation. I like to keep my ride simple with as few moving parts as necessary.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

From what I hear, if you've never had one, you don't miss it at all. You just learn to paddle accordingly. But once you get one, you never want to go back to not having one.

I felt a rudder was a mandatory accessory on my first kayak, as it tracked horribly without it, and was succeptible to weathervaning in the slightest of wind.
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I don't have a rudder on either of my paddle-type kayaks. Occasionally I wish I did -- especially in a strong breeze when the waves try to force the kayak into a particular orientation. I like to keep my ride simple with as few moving parts as necessary.
          I am on the same page as J.A. Veil. There has only been a few times fishing the CBBT where I needed one, but I got through it.
          '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
          '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
          Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

A lot of the guys on kayakfishingstuff.com recommended them. It's nice to be able to control the orientation of your drift. There have been a couple times when I used the Revo's rudder to stay in an eddy, but that likely depends on the wind and current direction. Lately, I've been tangling mine a lot, so I've been rethinking the need for one on my Tarpon. If I covered the same distance in the Tarpon as in the Revo, I would probably get one because the Tarpon weathercocks, which is annoying. They also help longer yaks turn faster, I think.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

It is a personal preference. However, when paddling any distance in the bay a rudder has always seemed to make things easier for me. I have always liked to be able to keep my paddle cadence, with use of the rudder for direction.

Comment

I have a rudder on my Revo and my Tarpon. My Tarpon was my first yak, so I wanted everything and the kitchen sink. For a 12 foot boat you can get away without a rudder, but as it was said earlier, a rudder is great in strong currents and controlling your drift orientaton. My revo it is mandatory to have a rudder on a peddle kayak because of the way it is designed to turn with very little need for a paddle.

Comment

ive had yaks with and with out and i liked having a rudder especially in the wind and chop. its also is a big help setting a drift

Comment

Kevin is an expert paddler. That is probably the main reason he does not use one. If your good you have no need for one.

I on the other hand will not own another kayak without a rudder.

Very helpful in wind and cross currents.

Comment

I prefer a paddle kayak without a rudder. I didn't use the rudder on my T140 at all. I kept the rudders up on all rental kayaks that were equipped with rudders regardless wind and chop.

Joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yeah I didn't have one on my Prowler Trident 13, and I thought it tracked well. But then again I did try to get a hobie asap

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          I prefer a paddle kayak without a rudder. I didn't use the rudder on my T140 at all. I kept the rudders up on all rental kayaks that were equipped with rudders regardless wind and chop.

Joe

why do you prefer no rudder though?
                          sigpic

Comment

Try paddling on a Hobie Mirage yak without the rudder and you'll be doing 180s all day. It's the one thing I don't like about my Revo11. The only time you put the rudder up is in shallow water... and that happens to be the only time you're paddling too!
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

i'm not talking about hobies. hobie revo tracks horrible anyways without a rudder, but other non pedal kayaks track pretty good without rudders, BUT with wind and current, dont see why anyone would not want a rudder, so again, looking for the cons and reasons why people dont use them. has to be more reasons than a fishing line getting caught on it
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X