Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a new boat - What do you guys think of the Wilderness Ride 135 Angler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new boat - What do you guys think of the Wilderness Ride 135 Angler?

Good morning,

I am seriously thinking about getting the new Ride 135 angler by Wilderness systems. Can i get some feedback about this boat pros and cons etc. I have a budget of around a thousand dollars and this boats seems to have the most bang for the buck in the sit on tops for fishing with good weight capacity and stability.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Meadeo
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

It'a a good Yak ....... very stable and lots of room ......... You can probably get a used one cheaper than $1000 if you didn't need a new one .......

Comment

If you know anyone selling a used one in good condition please point them my way. Thanks,

Meadeo

Comment

I've never paddled one... but that sucker is heavy! Their site says it weighs 75 lbs!!! http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...ride_135_2012/

That's just something to think about... Have you looked at the Ocean Kayak Tridents? Much lighter and still a whole lotta stable! Plus you can usually score them used well under $1000, save some of that cash for rigging!

Comment

I've got an old 1 that I bought used and never used. I took it to VA beach for my girlfriends sons to use and they never used it. It's faded but in good condition and has the rudder too. You can have it for $550 if you are interested. I just have to pick it up the next time I'm down there.

Comment

I had an 09 Ride 135 and it was a great boat, tho I did tend to get swamp @ss more then I liked, but the seat was nice and the new locking hatches. I have been looking at the new Ride 135 and it seems a lot nicer, looks like a cross between the Tarpon and the Ride with that being said it should track better then the old Ride without giving up the stability. The only down side I see is the weight of the new Ride, my old ride came in at 64 # and max load of 400 #. The New Ride comes in at 82 # and max load of 550 #. So if you are a taller or bigger guy that wants a super-stable, high capacity, durable, comfortable design that caters to the kayak angler, this is it.

Old Ride

Pros: Lighter in weight

Cons: Lack of tracking, swamp @ss

New Ride

Pros: Higher max load cap, better seating and storage layout

Cons: Weight of overall boat

This is what I see, hope this helps you out
            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

OBX Rat - You and I met at PLO last year. On the fishing pier. Was good chatting with you then.

Thanks for the imput makes me a little more comfortable with it. I am thinking it is the boat for me i am 6ft 230 lbs and plan to use it for the bay/sound/inlets etc. I have a Old Town Vapor sit in setup for fishing for freshwater and rivers which works great.

Now to pick a color!

Meadeo

Comment

I know I knew that user name, yeah man how have you been
                Kayak Fishing Mafia

Comment

Been good man... No fishing lately as i tend to switch to being a woodsmen when it gets cold. Plan to give the Occuqaun a shot this weekend if the weather holds for some of those dock crappies.

Counting the days until the weather starts to get warm and the days sunny so i can make a real day of it.

How you been?

Meadeo

Comment

Been doing alright playing hooky from work today since it was such a nice day, trying to get my kayaks ready for the up coming season, might take one out today just to paddle around. Just counting down the days til spring time and warmer weather
                    Kayak Fishing Mafia

Comment

Another option for bigger guys are Malibu kayaks. I haven't paddled one, but the one Grady Black has is nice. If you're interested in being able to stand, a couple of their models are designed with that in mind.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        Another option for bigger guys are Malibu kayaks. I haven't paddled one, but the one Grady Black has is nice. If you're interested in being able to stand, a couple of their models are designed with that in mind.

I just picked up a stealth 14 and love it so far. Im 6'3" 215 lbs and no water in the scupper holes what so ever.
                        Malibu Stealth 14
                        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Another one besides the Trident or the others mentioned would be the Cuda from Jackson, looks awesome for fishing.
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I just sold a barely used 08' WS Ride 135 this past weekend. I have the new 12' Ride 135 and I really like it. I also have an OK Prowler and it's a nice yak as well. I don't think you could go wrong with the Ride 135 or even a OK Prowler. Not sure if you'll be at the Feb M&G but I'll have my Ride 135 with me.
                            2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Yeah, Cuda. The main feature I like is the aluminum frame seat, among the most comfortable. I have a Trident. Great yak. The seat is just Ok, not great.
                              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                              X