Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
    The fish won't care! They look good!

I use a super cheap vise and it works fine. I tie mine with the hair on top, a few half hitches, flip it on the vice and hair on top again. Then when I have about 5 tied I finish with a small batch of 5 min epoxy. So much for doing a lot of tying this winter! It's already over!
    I don't even use the epoxy ......... clear nail finish works great and less mess ......... of course you have to swish and talk funny when you buy it .....

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      Oh yes you doo..oooo !!!!! ........ Ya never have enough ...... never never never !!!!!!!!

First you'll get a couple of cheap ones and then you'll give up and buy a Renzetti .........
      LOL. Noooooooooooo!!!!

Look at my office, it's ridiculous already!! Ah, the joys of working from home... (btw, it may not look like it, but I do work my ass off in between jig heads)

Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
        LOL. Noooooooooooo!!!!

Look at my office, it's ridiculous already!! Ah, the joys of working from home... (btw, it may not look like it, but I do work my ass off in between jig heads)

Dude .......... you have no Idea ......... that's my entire house and shed ....... get counciling NOW or you'll end like me ............ I can make anything you want and alot of things you've never heard of ........ from the plastic and lead melting pots hooks, airbrushes, compressors, mold making stuff, rodbuilding lathes, looms, and supplies, flocking equipment, wood lathes, tying vices and all the hair, eyes, beads mylar etc, wood lure equipment not to mention the made lures ..........

I BEG YOU ........ GET COUNCILING FAST !!!!!!! ........ it's too late for me .....

Comment

Dude .......... you have no Idea ......... that's my entire house and shed ....... get counciling NOW or you'll end like me ............ I can make anything you want and alot of things you've never heard of ........ from the plastic and lead melting pots hooks, airbrushes, compressors, mold making stuff, rodbuilding lathes, looms, and supplies, flocking equipment, wood lathes, tying vices and all the hair, eyes, beads mylar etc, wood lure equipment not to mention the made lures ..........

I BEG YOU ........ GET COUNCILING FAST !!!!!!! ........ it's too late for me .....

There's no better therapy than fishing.... I'm on it.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback

Comment

LOL, this is great. Need to show this to the gf. She thinks its bad now....it can get much worse!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I saw Shawn Kimbro give a presentation on strike indicators Tues. night in Catonsville.

For what it's worth, he says that he puts bigger eyes on his jigs even when the ones he buys come with eyes.

He buys them in bulk at Michaels. I think he said they are intended as doll's eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahab View Post
                I saw Shawn Kimbro give a presentation on strike indicators Tues. night in Catonsville.

For what it's worth, he says that he puts bigger eyes on his jigs even when the ones he buys come with eyes.

He buys them in bulk at Michaels. I think he said they are intended as doll's eyes.
                he uses the cheap bubble eyes that has pupils that move ........

Comment

Ahab, I've been wanting to go see his presentation about that. Was it good?

Glad to hear about the big eyes, cause I just got some in the mail.

Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                    LOL, this is great. Need to show this to the gf. She thinks its bad now....it can get much worse!
                    Ain't no way ....... for eyes only ....... remember I'm trying to convert the pig pen into the Dawg House ........ seriously .....

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                      Ahab, I've been wanting to go see his presentation about that. Was it good?

Glad to hear about the big eyes, cause I just got some in the mail.

Chex,

If you've read his book, which I recommend for everyone, then you've already heard most of what he has to say. That said, there's always one more piece of info that you'll get that you didn't already know.

For what it's worth, those jigs that you're creating look very much like his, so theoretically they should be great. However, as you know, fish don't always follow the rules.

For me, I'm totally new to kayak fishing and fishing tidal waters. I grew up fishing farm ponds in the midwest and then I moved to trout fishing on rivers. Last year was my first year in my yak and my experience was definitely evident as I tore it up at Rocky Gorge, but was skunked on my two trips to the bay.

Of course, as any stubborn fisherman, that has just spurred my interest and I've been reading anything I can get my hands on to raise my knowledge of fishing the bay.

Of course this forum has been invaluable and I very much appreciate all of the guidance and advice from you and the other experienced bay anglers.

Comment

Eyes Are Meaningful

Several ways to group predators by their feeding behavior, and that's what we are discussing here, whether eyes on a lure, fly or jighead aid in triggering an attack of feeding behavior in a predator fish.

One way to group predator feeding behavior is by whether the apex fish has teeth or not . Because if not, then the apex has to swallow it's prey. And in the case of swallowing. all prey is consumed head first. So to give an example, stripers swallow an eel head first. As the eel struggles it actually swims further into the stripers gullet.

It is theorized that eyes are a targeting point for predator fish that seek to swallow. This is supported by watching how stripers actually attack bait, their direction of approach, target angle and manner of movement during the maneuver.

For those predator fish that attack with serrated cutting teeth like bluefish,or shark, it is the center of body mass that they are targeting, or the narrow part of the body just ahead of the caudal fin (tail.) Biters tend to disable their prey and then finish it off. Eyes are not so important for them, more about the length and profile of the body shape.

Never the less, having eyes on a metal casting spoon, being thrown to bluefish, has never shown to me to be a disadvantage. They eat 'em anyway.

Now eyes are a BIG deal to anglers. I know because I make and occasionally sell to dealers, my flies and bucktail jigs, and they want prominent eyes. Good eyes are necessary to catch fish and great eyes are necessary to trigger retail sales. Because of this, the eyes must match, to an extent, the color scheme going on in the fly or lure. There are patterns that favor certain color eyes. I'm a big fan of yellow and red eyes with a black pupil. I also custom tie trolling lures for other professionals and often am asked to actually make the eyes, especially if it's a theme that the Captain wants to be exclusively his. Like light blue eyes: can't buy them anywhere. I make them.

So in summary, eyes are a big deal.
                        Last edited by Capt Brady Bounds; 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X