Kayak Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Tools

any of you carry any minimal tools on board? i have needed some after my mirage drive failed but was able to fix it with a knife and hemostat i had. i think i aslo fixed GS rudder once with the same thing. after that i started to carry a couple allens and a screw driver but the damn things rust, even sitting in a zip lock. i hate rust. any non rusting multi tool available, or at the least, non rusting allen wrenches and screw drivers? i'l probably just have to deal with rust.

tools arent required obviously on a kayak, but i'd like to be prepared for small things to continue fishing.
    sigpic

i have a Gerber multi tool thats stainless steel hasnt rusted yet also carry small channel locks and allen keys in a small dry bag. give them a light shot of WD40 to keep rust off or use 1 of those rust away things for tackle boxes

Comment

Most tools I have are for the reels and hook removal in case I get a hook deep in my hand
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I carry a number of tools. I keep them in a small dry bag in a larger dry bag where I keep my wallet, keys, extra batteries, etc. The dry bag resides in my car rather than in my yak. In the tool bag are a pair of parallel jaw pliers with cutters on top for cutting hooks, a set of allen wrenches for the Mirage drive, two ratcheting wrenches for the drive, a cheap pair of small vice grips, a screwdriver with multiple tips, and spare cotter pins and split rings. I used to also carry an extra idler cable for my old drive. I need to get a spare for my new drive.

After about 5 or 6 years, only the allen wrenches show signs of rust. I take them out and lube them once a season (usually when I tear down my drive and lube it) and dry them out thoroughly if I used them on the water. Actually, the screwdriver is pretty rusty, too, but it was a crappy one I bought from the impulse buying rack at Ace Hardware. I think I have a couple of the DO NOT EAT silica gel packets in the smaller dry bag with the tools to absorb any moisture. I have a set of nice clippers that were supposed to be saltwater-proof that stay in the pocket of my Revo, and those have rusted since September. Go figure.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill- You should put on a clinic for Mirage Drive owners to learn how to properly maintain their drives- I have sprayed mine down twice with CLP and wiped it down, rinse it off after saltwater use, but other than that- zippo-I look the drive over for obvious signs of wear and tear- I had mine checked and adjusted when I bought it by Backyard Boats in Woodbridge, VA last Fall- I don't know what tools you would need to carry for "emergency" drive repairs while out on the water- I would probably just paddle in and take the unit to the dealer-
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

There are a couple good tutorials on the Hobie forum that roadrunner did that are really thorough:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewf...921fb5023f573c

I pretty much just follow those. I'll take a look at my tool bag and put the list here later.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
            X