Handling Minnows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling Minnows

Does anybody have any trick for handling minnows? Those little bastards kept slipping out of my hand yesterday while trying to hook 'em.
    <insert witty comment here>

I have never had much of a problem with minnows. I hook them from the bottom lip upwards. I may not be of much help otherwise, except to maybe use a fishing glove. That may be awkward. However, I have always had very good luck with grass shrimp, when fishing for yellow perch. I used to fish at Red Bridges for the perch run. I liked to use grass shrimp under a bobber. I read your other post about the fish. Maybe a slip bobber would aid in not snagging objects.

Also, looks like the new battery was working well. Very good with that project.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. My main problem with the minnows was preventing them from slipping out of my hands while trying to hook 'em. I curshed a couple of them to death trying to keep em still...I dont fish with them very often. Maybe I just need more practice.

A slip bobber would have been perfect, now that you mention it!

Comment

[QUOTE=MetroMan;26526] I curshed a couple of them to death trying to keep em still...
        QUOTE]

So... how long have you had these anger management issues?

Comment

I too have had some difficulties holding the minnows still while I hook them (I really can't blame the little guys too much though). My fingers loose some dexterity after two hours out in the cold.

I find that I often need to give a quick wipe of my hand on the wader leg in order to start with clean skin before maneuvering the minnow into piercing position.

The smallest minnows pose the most challenge for me.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cheese Cloth. Take a 4''x6'' piece of cheese cloth and reach into the bucket/bait tank. It will hold the little guy very well.

And its cheap
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

great suggestion!

I was thinking of pouring a lil bit of vodka in the minnow bucket. Everybody in the bucket get tipsy...

Comment

A lot of folks use rag/cloth to hold eels (for stripers).
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  great suggestion!

I was thinking of pouring a lil bit of vodka in the minnow bucket. Everybody in the bucket get tipsy...
                  I think that's a great idea. Just give it to them the night before. I sure can't seem to move very well the next day

Comment

I heard minnows prefer whiskey...

I use a small bait dip net to get the minnow out of the bucket and sometimes will use that to help hold it too when putting it on the hook. This also keeps hands dry and out of the cold water in your bait bucket.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

minnow killer

Comment

Working...
                      X